- The Washington Times - Tuesday, September 23, 2003


‘WKRP’ actor dies at 71

LOS ANGELES — Gordon Jump, who played a befuddled radio station manager on the sitcom “WKRP in Cincinnati” and made a mark in commercials as the lonely Maytag repairman, died Monday. He was 71.

Mr. Jump suffered from pulmonary fibrosis, said Katherine Jump Wagner, his cousin. The illness causes scarring of the air sacs of the lungs, leading to heart or respiratory failure. Mr. Jump had been under hospice care at his home southeast of Los Angeles, his cousin said.

He played Arthur Carlson in “WKRP in Cincinnati,” which aired on CBS from 1978 to 1982 and featured Gary Sandy, Loni Anderson, Tim Reid, Howard Hesseman and Richard Sanders as the ragtag station’s crew.

He portrayed the Maytag repairman “Ol’ Lonely,” a well-recognized advertising symbol, from 1989 until he retired from the role in July.


Bumper stickers to deter DUIs

PENSACOLA — Some convicted drunken drivers in the Florida Panhandle have been ordered to put bumper stickers on their cars asking, “How’s my driving? … The judge wants to know!!!”

Escambia County Judge William White said he hopes the bumper stickers, which include an identification number for each driver and a toll-free phone number, will reduce repeat offenses for driving under the influence of alcohol. “We want to influence people to correct their behavior rather than just use this as sort of a monitoring system,” the judge said.

Judge White said he had earlier tried to mandate bumper stickers saying only “Convicted DUI” to shame violators. He hopes the call-in stickers will prove a stronger deterrent.


Survey shows opposition to same-sex unions

MOBILE — A survey shows Alabamians are overwhelmingly opposed to same-sex “marriages,” which the state banned in 1998.

The poll found 82 percent were against homosexual “marriages,” while 13 percent favored and the rest were undecided or didn’t answer. The Mobile Register and University of South Alabama poll of 415 persons taken last week had a margin of error of plus or minus five percentage points.


Helicopter rotor hit cliff in fatal crash

PHOENIX — A tour helicopter that crashed in the Grand Canyon on Saturday, killing all seven persons aboard, seems to have struck a cliff with its main rotor as it was descending into a gorge, an investigator said.

A piece of the main rotor was found about 250 yards from the crash scene, National Transportation Safety Board investigator Wayne Pollack said Monday. Searchers also found the engine and the tail-rotor assembly.

Mr. Pollack said the investigation would take several months.

The helicopter crashed and burst into flames in clear weather about 50 miles northeast of Kingman in Descent Canyon, near Grand Canyon West Airport.


Hikers replace flag burned by vandals

FRISCO — At least nine persons have hiked up a 13,589-foot mountain to replace an American flag left in tribute to the September 11 victims that vandals burned earlier this month.

Sometime over the weekend of Sept. 13-14, someone torched the flag and left an antigovernment note. Several people then decided independently to replace the flag on Peak 1.

No arrests have been made.


Ex-operator of crematory pleads not guilty

LAFAYETTE — A former crematory operator accused of dumping decaying bodies around his family business site pleaded not guilty yesterday to some charges and contested the validity of hundreds of others.

At the arraignment, Ray Brent Marsh, 29, pleaded not guilty to 122 counts of burial service fraud and 47 counts of making false statements. He remains free on bond.

His attorney, Ken Poston, said Mr. Marsh was withholding pleas on 179 counts of abuse of a body and 439 counts of theft by taking, describing those charges as “defective” because the law does not support them.


Woman sentenced for cruise-ship threats

HONOLULU — A woman who pleaded guilty to planting notes threatening to kill Americans aboard a cruise ship was sentenced Monday to two years in federal prison.

Kelley Marie Ferguson, of Laguna Hills, Calif., could have faced up to 20 years and a fine of up to $250,000 for planting the notes aboard Royal Caribbean International’s vessel, Legend of the Seas.

Ferguson, 20, who hid that she was pregnant during the April cruise, told authorities she wanted to cut short a family vacation to return home to her boyfriend. The ship was diverted to Honolulu after the notes were found.

“It was done without malice or intend[ing] to hurt anyone,” her attorney, Loretta Faymonville, told the judge. “She was pregnant. She was scared. She wanted to go home.”

Ferguson, who had a baby girl June 25, will begin serving her sentence Nov. 4.

U.S. District Court Judge Helen Gillmor also ordered Ferguson to serve three years of supervised release and to undergo a psychiatric evaluation and counseling if needed.


Indictments returned for nightclub stampede

CHICAGO — Four men linked to a nightclub where 21 persons died in a February stampede were indicted on involuntary-manslaughter charges and pleaded not guilty yesterday.

E2 nightclub owner Dwain Kyles, his partner Calvin Hollins Jr., party promoter Marco Flores and Mr. Hollins’ son, Calvin Hollins III, a manager at the club, made their first court appearance after a grand jury handed up indictments in the case last week.

The Feb. 17 stampede at E2 started after someone used pepper spray to break up a dance-floor fight. Patrons fled for the doors, crushing each other on a narrow staircase.

Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Robert Egan, reading from the indictment, said the owners willfully packed the club with about 1,200 people on the night of the stampede, roughly five times its capacity of 240.


Librarians fight would-be thief

CRAWFORDSVILLE — Being a librarian in this small college town 40 miles west of Indianapolis is a dangerous job.

Librarians Debbie Barry and Christina Crouch were bitten by a woman as they tried to stop her from stealing $70 from the public library’s cash drawer. Miss Barry said a man tried to distract her Saturday while a woman grabbed the money and fled.

The pair chased the woman outside and wrestled with her while library patrons called police. The woman bit Miss Crouch’s chest and Miss Barry’s thumb before the man pulled her free and they ran off.

Anna M. Davis, 24, and her live-in boyfriend, Kevin T. Kamradt, 25, were caught a few minutes later, police Officer Bob Rivers said.


Attorney wants charges dropped in dorm death

BOWLING GREEN — The attorney for one of two men charged in the fatal dorm-room attack on a college student said Monday charges should be dropped against his client because of a lack of evidence.

Attorney David Broderick said there are no fingerprints or DNA evidence linking Lucas Goodrum to the death of Katie Autry, a freshman at Western Kentucky University.

There are also no videotapes showing Mr. Goodrum walking into the dorm where Miss Autry, 18, was found beaten, raped and burned in May, Mr. Broderick said. Miss Autry died three days later in a hospital.

Mr. Goodrum and Stephen B. Soules, both of nearby Scottsville, were indicted in July and are being held without bond. Each has pleaded not guilty.


F-16 crashes; pilot ejects safely

LEESVILLE — An F-16 fighter jet with the Texas Air National Guard crashed Monday in rural western Louisiana, authorities said.

The pilot ejected and was in satisfactory condition in a hospital at the Army’s nearby Fort Polk, Vernon Parish Sheriff’s Chief Detective Marvin Hilton said.

The pilot, whose name was not immediately released, was one of a group of F-16 pilots from Ellington Air National Guard Base in Houston flying over the area.


Airport to offer high-speed Web access

BOSTON — Logan International Airport plans to offer passengers WiFi high-speed wireless Internet access before next summer. Passengers will have to pay $6 or $7 per day for access to the service.

The Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates the airport, hopes to negotiate deals with national WiFi providers such as T-Mobile, Wayport and Boingo to get their subscribers free access.


Vote delayed for mascot makeover

JACKSON — University of Mississippi officials have indefinitely delayed an election to pick a new look for the Colonel Rebel mascot, saying there was little enthusiasm for alternatives that included a James Deanlike motorcycle rider.

Other finalists that fell flat with a vetting committee of athletes, faculty and alumni included a character bearing a resemblance to advertising icon Mr. Clean and a bearded, athletic-looking man.

“They felt like if they couldn’t enthusiastically support the three, it was better not to put them out there for people to vote on,” Assistant Vice Chancellor Jeff Alford said.

The online vote by students, alumni and other school supporters was to have started later this week.

University officials said earlier this year that Colonel Rebel — a white-haired, bearded old Southern gentleman — needed a more-athletic, up-to-date look. The university sponsored a contest. Mr. Alford said 323 drawings were submitted and the committee met last Friday to choose three finalists.


Woman searching for missing monkey

GLENVILLE — Mary Malewicz is miffed over her missing monkey, Mickey.

The black-and-white Capuchin monkey escaped around 4 p.m. Sunday from Miss Malewicz’s home, 20 miles northwest of Albany.

Since then, police spotted him in the woods, but the critter scampered off. Area residents have come across the precocious primate but it has avoided capture.

Miss Malewicz is even using her other monkey, Kate, to help lure Mickey back home. Mickey is worth about $7,000, she said. Miss Malewicz described the toothless monkey, whose last owner defanged him after he nipped her, as tame and friendly. She suggested that anyone who spotted the monkey should walk up to him and grab his tail.


Rally at Duke denounces racism

DURHAM — Demonstrators at Duke University rallied against a fraternity that promoted a party with fliers that looked like expired green cards, T-shirts with the image of a drunken Mexican and a mock border checkpoint at the door.

“Everything that I am — my family, customs, culture and language — was violated,” said Sandra Sanchez, who helped organize the demonstration Monday at Duke Chapel. “The stereotypes of drunk Mexicans and border crossing was hurtful.”

Several speakers told about 75 students, professors and administrators that the Sept. 13 Sigma Chi party inflamed their long-held belief that Duke has ignored its Hispanic students, who are about 7 percent of the school’s enrollment.

Sigma Chi president Marc Mattioli, who said he is Hispanic, apologized and said the fraternity is not racist.

The party “was designed to be a lighthearted celebration of the Mexican tourism scene,” Mr. Mattioli wrote in a letter published in Duke’s student newspaper, the Chronicle.


Governor announces prescription-drug plan

COLUMBUS — Gov. Bob Taft announced his plan to provide seniors and disabled people with prescription-drug discounts.

The plan will allow about 2 million people to save up to 30 percent on medications using Golden Buckeye Cards.

State officials, drug makers and pharmacies negotiated the plan for more than two years. It must be approved by the legislature.


Council member drops from race

HOUSTON — City Council member Michael Berry dropped out of the race for mayor. The first-term member said he intends to run for an at-large seat different from the one he now holds.

Mr. Berry’s withdrawal leaves Orlando Sanchez, Sylvester Turner and Bill White as the three major candidates in the Nov. 4 election.

Mayor Lee Brown can’t run again because of term limits.


Woman, 101, outlives tombstone inscription

RICHLAND CENTER — A woman who outlived the inscription on her tombstone died at age 101 after a company corrected the monument for free.

Gladys Briggs’ tombstone in Basswood Cemetery listed her birth year of 1901 and “19” for the century in which she was expected to die.

She said in August that she never thought she would outlive the 20th century when she bought the stone with her second husband, Buford, who died in 1968. “No, I sure didn’t,” she said. “Who ever would have thought that way back then?”

The Krause Monument Co. erased the incorrect century from her stone for free.

Mrs. Briggs, who died peacefully Friday, had a hand in planning her own funeral.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide