- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 28, 2003

COLORADO

Federal judge was on do-not-call list

DENVER — The office phone number of a federal judge who ruled last week that a national “do-not-call” registry is unconstitutional was among the millions already on the list, the Boston Globe reported yesterday.

U.S. District Judge Edward Nottingham’s number was added in July to the registry, which was designed to block telemarketers’ calls. It wasn’t clear whether Judge Nottingham himself registered the number or knew it had been registered. A call to the office Saturday was not immediately returned.



The Federal Trade Commission Web site was set up to allow anyone to register his or her number, remove it or verify whether a number was registered. An automated response from the site verified that Judge Nottingham’s number was registered on July 28.

The judge on Thursday stopped the FTC from implementing the registry, ruling it was an unconstitutional infringement on free speech.

TENNESSEE

Baptists face crisis in donation downturn

NASHVILLE — The Southern Baptist Convention could face a financial crisis within a few years unless churchgoers start giving more money to the denomination, according to an internal report.

Giving by its church members decreased steadily from 1968 to 1998 as a percentage of their earnings, down to 2.03 percent, according to the Champaign, Ill.-based Christian research group Empty Tomb Inc., which provided some of the statistics used in the report.

Baptist churches traditionally ask members to tithe 10 percent of their income.

MISSOURI

Long desegregation suit is finally over

KANSAS CITY — After 26 years of costly litigation, the Kansas City School District’s $2 billion federal desegregation case is officially over.

Arthur A. Benson II, attorney for the plaintiff schoolchildren, withdrew his appeal Friday of an August ruling that said the district had met all the legal requirements to end federal court oversight.

Mr. Benson declined to say why he decided to drop the appeal.

On Aug. 13, U.S. District Judge Dean Whipple ruled on the only issue that had remained in the case, the black-white achievement gap, saying the district had narrowed the gap enough that its racial desegregation program no longer needed court supervision.

MASSACHUSETTS

2 dead after plane crashes in woods

CONCORD — A small plane crashed yesterday in a heavily wooded area, killing the pilot and a passenger, authorities said.

The two were the only people aboard the four-seat Cessna 182 when it went down shortly after 11 a.m., Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said.

The pilot did not indicate any problems with the plane when speaking to flight controllers just prior to the plane’s approach to Hanscom Field in Bedford, Mr. Peters said.

He added that the plane turned northwest, then back to the south before flight controllers lost track of it.

Mr. Peters did not know where the flight originated or the identities of the victims.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide