- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 10, 2004


79 illegals found in truck

FORT WORTH — A trucker was jailed after 79 illegal immigrants were found in the trailer of his Dallas-bound 18-wheeler during a traffic stop.

Alvin Auxter, 52, was stopped Sunday morning near the interchange of Interstates 20 and 820 in southwest Fort Worth. He was held on suspicion of human smuggling and was to appear yesterday in federal court, said Fort Worth police and U.S. Border Patrol officials.

The truck had been taking the immigrants from El Paso to Dallas when a state law officer noticed that the vehicle didn’t display required state identification numbers, said Texas Trooper John Forrest.


Shalikashvili hospitalized

FORT LEWIS — Retired Army Gen. John Shalikashvili, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the early years of the Clinton administration, has been hospitalized in guarded condition at an Army hospital here, a spokesman said yesterday.

Gen. Shalikashvili, 68, entered Madigan Medical Center on Saturday morning. The family has requested that no more information be released, said Mike Meines, a hospital spokesman.

Gen. Shalikashvili spoke at the Democratic National Convention last month, endorsing Sen. John Kerry for president.


Gorilla signals pain; tooth extraction done

WOODSIDE — When Koko the gorilla used the American Sign Language gesture for pain and pointed to her mouth, 12 specialists, including three dentists, sprang into action.

The result? Her first full medical examination in about 20 years, an extracted tooth and a clean bill of health.

About a month ago, Koko, a 300-plus-pound ape who became famous for mastering more than 1,000 signs, began telling her handlers at the Gorilla Foundation in Woodside that she was in pain.


Protester uses Town Hall bathroom

NAUGATUCK — A man who believes the town crushed his sewer line says he’ll use the bathroom in Town Hall every morning until the problem is solved.

Robert Antidormi has accused the town of recently laying a storm pipe over his sewer line, causing backups that prevent his family from using their bathroom.

While his wife, Lisa, and three young sons have opted to stay with family out of town, Mr. Antidormi is staying put.

Mayor Ron San Angelo says residents are responsible for their sewer lines.


Ex-Navy SEAL survives shark attack

ST. PETERSBURG — A Florida man was recovering yesterday from four hours of surgery to repair damage done by a shark attack, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

James Tiffee, a 47-year-old former Navy SEAL, had been swimming near his house at dusk Sunday when a 4-foot shark bit him several times, officials said.

Doctors at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Bay Pines found that the shark had bitten nearly a square-foot piece out of Mr. Tiffee’s back and left other bite marks on his buttocks, his left hand and the left side of his face.


Mourners pay tribute to slain couple

FAYETTEVILLE — Nearly 1,000 mourners gathered yesterday for the funeral of a suburban Atlanta couple reportedly stabbed to death by their 15-year-old granddaughter and her girlfriend.

Speaking before the closed caskets of Carl and Sarah Collier, the Rev. Glenn Stringham of the First Baptist Church of Fayetteville said the elderly couple had sacrificed their lives trying to help Holly Harvey and 16-year-old Sandy Ketchum.

Holly is accused of planning the slayings and recruiting Sandy to help stab her grandparents more than 15 times each so the girls could go to the beach — a trip the Colliers had refused to allow.

The Colliers, who were in their 70s, had been raising Holly while her mother served a prison term on drug charges. The teens have been charged as adults.


1 killed, 2 hurt in pickup assault

WICHITA — A bar patron rammed his pickup truck into several people, killing one and injuring two, after a fight in the bar moved outside early Sunday, police said.

Several people who had been kicked out of Champs Bar and Grill after an argument broke out were throwing punches in the parking lot when a man got into his truck and drove into several people, Wichita police Lt. John Speer said.

Lt. Speer said the man then drove around the building, striking three vehicles before fleeing.

Police said they arrested a 24-year-old man at his Sedgwick County home and booked him on counts of reckless second-degree murder and attempted reckless second-degree murder.


Hospital gowns fitted to suit Muslims

PORTLAND — The state medical center plans to redesign poorly fitting hospital gowns after administrators learned that many Muslim women were skipping appointments because of them.

The gown now leaves patients fully covered. Last year, the hospital learned that three of every 10 Muslim women were skipping appointments because of the gowns.


Settlement reached in waste dump case

LINCOLN — Nebraska will pay $141 million for blocking efforts to build a low-level radioactive waste dump and will be allowed to continue to oppose locating the dump in the state, under the settlement of a lawsuit accepted yesterday.

The dump was to have been built in northeastern Nebraska and take waste from Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas. Low-level radioactive waste includes contaminated tools and clothing from nuclear power plants, hospitals and research centers.


Bombing conspirator sentenced to life

McALESTER — Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols was sentenced yesterday to life without the possibility of parole for his role in the worst act of domestic terrorism in U.S. history. Addressing a court for the first time, he read a statement citing God and asking forgiveness.

“My heart truly goes out to all the victims and survivors and to everyone who was affected by the Oklahoma City bombing,” Nichols said. “Words cannot adequately express the sorrow I have felt over the years for the grief they have all suffer-ed.”

District Judge Steven Taylor ordered Nichols to serve a life term for each of 161 counts of first-degree murder and that the sentences run consecutively.


Homeless man hailed as hero

UPPER DARBY — A homeless man is being hailed as a hero after chasing down a man accused of snatching a purse, tackling him and holding him down until police arrived.

Loretta Ferraro, 68, was in the Chef’s Spot restaurant when a man tried to grab the handbag out of her lap, she said. The two engaged in a tug of war, but the man prevailed and bolted out the door.

The suspect ended up fleeing right past a homeless shelter where Kevin Runkle had just stepped outside. Mr. Runkle, said he noticed the commotion and took off after the man, identified as Hyo Lee.


2 adults, 3 children killed in house fire

TEGA CAY — Fire engulfed a home early yesterday, killing two adults and three children whose bodies were found after the flames were extinguished, officials said.

Neighbors said they heard a bang, possibly an explosion, before seeing the fire. They called the Newport Fire Department at about 3 a.m., but the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, York County Sheriff’s Capt. Glenn Williams said.


Police recapture escaped murderer

WHITEVILLE — A convicted murderer serving a life term who escaped during the weekend was recaptured after a search by more than 70 officers aided by aircraft and dogs.

Tracy Lynn Harris, 26, was apprehended late Sunday outside Bolivar, Hardeman County Chief Deputy Doug Brown said.

Harris had escaped from the Hardeman County Correctional Facility.


Husband charged in missing wife’s death

SALT LAKE CITY — A first-degree murder charge was filed yesterday against Mark Hacking, who reportedly confessed to relatives that he shot his wife in the head and threw her body in a trash bin.

Lori Hacking’s body has not been found, despite numerous searches of a local landfill.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide