- The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 25, 2004

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors pulled a Corvette ad that shows a young boy driving wildly through city streets after safety advocates complained, the company said yesterday.

Auto safety groups sent a letter Tuesday to GM Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner saying the television ad sent a dangerous message. The ad had been running during the Olympics.

GM spokesman Joe Jacuzzi said the automaker pulled the ad on Tuesday in response to that letter and other consumer feedback.

The ad, titled “A Boy’s Dream,” features a dream sequence in which a clearly underage boy is shown behind the wheel of a new Corvette, making unrealistic maneuvers at high speeds.

Judith Stone, president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, one of the signers of the letter to Mr. Wagoner, welcomed GM’s decision. Critics said the boy looked to be 11 or 12.

“We’re delighted that they did the right thing,” she said.

Mr. Jacuzzi said the ad never was intended to depict a real driving situation.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide