- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 31, 2004


Missing 3-year-old found unhurt

MISSOULA — A 3-year-old boy reported missing for three days from a campground was found safe by a volunteer searcher on Sunday.

Lightly clothed and without food, Kenneth Gerken survived three nights with temperatures dropping into the low 40s.

“If you believe in miracles, folks, Missoula got one today,” Missoula County Sheriff Mike McMeekin said Sunday night.

Kenneth was reported missing Thursday evening at the Kreis Pond campground near Missoula. His mother, Karinda Gerken, had been staying there with the boy and his infant brother, awaiting a move into a residence.


Gaston’s remnants soak state

RALEIGH — Central North Carolina was drenched yesterday by the remnants of Tropical Storm Gaston, the fourth named storm to strike the state this month, as thousands of customers in the Carolinas waited for their power to be restored.

Up to 6 inches of rain was likely in parts of North Carolina, and flash-flood warnings were posted. The storm had poured as much as 10 inches on the Charleston, S.C., area after blowing ashore.

While the Carolinas cleared away downed trees and waited for flooded streets to drain, residents were being told to keep an eye on Hurricane Frances, a powerful storm heading across the Atlantic toward the Caribbean with 120 mph wind.


Ex-mayor indicted on racketeering

ATLANTA — Former Atlanta Mayor Bill Campbell was indicted on racketeering, bribery and wire-fraud charges after a five-year federal investigation into corruption during his years at City Hall, officials said yesterday.

Mr. Campbell, who was mayor from 1994 to 2002, is accused of accepting tens of thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions, cash, travel and home improvements in exchange for city contracts.

The indictment, unsealed yesterday, accuses Mr. Campbell of “a pattern and practice of misconduct and illegal acts” that included seeking money from people doing business with the city to line his own pockets, in part to support his gambling habit.


Hula master dies at age 79

HAUULA — Alice Puluelo Naipo Park, a hula master who taught the Hawaiian dance for more than 50 years, died Aug. 18 at her home, relatives said. She was 79.

She had her first hula lesson at age 3 and completed her teaching under hula master Lokalia Montgomery.

In 1952, she opened Puamana Hula Studio, named after one of her eight children. She also taught Hawaiian culture to elementary school students, and her hula style was documented by the Hula Preservation Society.


Kennedy cousin quits to fight charges

CHICAGO — William Kennedy Smith, a medical doctor and the nephew of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, said yesterday that he has resigned from the humanitarian group he founded while he fights sexual-assault charges by a former employee.

“I am simply doing everything I can to protect the organization I love,” Dr. Smith, 43, said in his first public appearance since Audra Soulias filed a lawsuit last week claiming that he sexually assaulted her five years ago.

Dr. Smith denied that he assaulted Miss Soulias. He said friends worried that he would appear guilty by resigning from the Center for International Rehabilitation, which helps victims of land mines.

Miss Soulias, 28, Dr. Smith’s former personal assistant, is seeking unspecified damages.


Thieves stealing patriotic magnets

COUNCIL BLUFFS — Patriotic magnets are attracting somebody’s attention — much to the chagrin of Michelle Morrow and Kim Grosvenor, to name but two.

The women are among several people in the area who have had yellow and red, white and blue ribbon-shaped magnets stolen from their vehicles, police said.

Mrs. Morrow said her car magnet was stolen while she was at a hot-air-balloon fair. It read “Half of my heart is in Afghanistan,” where her husband, Lance, has been stationed since early this year.

Mrs. Morrow said she will replace the magnet but won’t leave it where thieves can get it.


Mother fights school’s cupcake ban

DUXBURY — Betsy Hunter is cooking up a campaign to overturn a cupcake ban at her daughter’s elementary school. She hopes to persuade school officials to rescind a no-cupcake policy at Chandler Elementary School. She has gathered about 200 signatures.

Chandler Elementary School Principal Deborah Zetterberg said the change was part of an effort to promote healthier eating.


Ex-inmate charged in tax-refund scam

ST. LOUIS — Donald W. Sanders, a former Missouri Eastern Correctional Center inmate, was indicted on charges of preparing and filing false income-tax-refund claims.

Authorities said Sanders, 46, used correction fluid and a copy machine to create fake tax-refund claims for himself and other inmates in 2002 while serving time. The refunds ranged from $454 to $1,867.52.


Worker productivity linked to air quality

DURHAM — Preliminary results from a University of New Hampshire study show a link between declining worker productivity and poor air quality.

Researchers have been surveying 500 workers at area hospitals and businesses once a week all summer about their health and how much time they spend outside. Most of New Hampshire’s poor-air days occur during the summer.


Separated twins leave hospital

NEW YORK — Less than four weeks after they were surgically separated, 2-year-old twins Carl and Clarence Aguirre left the hospital yesterday in a double stroller pushed by their mother, who exclaimed, “I have two boys.”

As a crowd of Montefiore Medical Center staffers applauded, the boys’ lead surgeon, Dr. James Goodrich, called the recovery a miracle.

Their separation on Aug. 4 was the culmination of a yearlong process that included four major operations.


Court-martial begins for Guardsman

FORT LEWIS — A National Guardsman betrayed his country and fellow soldiers when he tried to pass military information to undercover agents who he thought were al Qaeda terrorists, prosecutors charged yesterday at the start of his court-martial.

Spc. Ryan Anderson, 27, faces life in prison without parole if convicted.

Spc. Anderson, a convert to Islam, pleaded not guilty Aug. 9 to five counts of trying to provide the al Qaeda terrorist network with information about U.S. troop strength and tactics and methods for killing American soldiers.


Skydiver jumps 100 times for charity

SHIOCTON — Matt McClone had an up-and-down day over the weekend, but for a good reason.

Mr. McClone jumped out of an airplane 100 times in 12 hours Saturday to help raise an estimated $14,000 for breast-cancer survivors.

That works out to $1,400 per jump for the Madison-based Breast Cancer Recovery Foundation — and one jump every seven minutes.

Mr. McClone, 26, decided to raise funds for the foundation after his girlfriend’s mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.


Lights, noise used to stop wolf attacks

JACKSON — Bright lights and firecrackerlike shotgun blasts are deterring wolves from further attacks on cattle in Grand Teton National Park, officials said.

Ranchers have not reported any destroyed animals since wolves killed a 400-pound calf Aug. 10. Federal wildlife agents stationed near the herd began shining lights and exploding firecracker shells to chase away wolves.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide