- The Washington Times - Monday, August 9, 2004

MIHAMA, Japan — Japan suffered its deadliest nuclear power plant accident yesterday when a bursting pipe killed at least four workers and injured seven in an energy-poor country already worried about nuclear plant safety.

No radiation was released when the boiling water and steam exploded from a cooling pipe at the plant in Mihama, a small city about 200 miles west of the capital, Tokyo.

But the steam leak followed a string of safety lapses and cover-ups at reactors, and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi vowed to conduct a thorough investigation. Fears about the safety of the country’s 52 nuclear power plants soared in 1999, when a radiation leak northeast of Tokyo killed two workers and exposed hundreds to radiation.

The leak yesterday was caused by a lack of cooling water in the reactor’s turbine and perhaps by significant metal erosion in the condenser pipe, said the plant’s operator, Kansai Electric Power. The pipe’s wall, originally 10 mm thick, had become as thin as 1.5 mm in the 28 years since the reactor was constructed.

After the accident, Kansai Electric officials found a hole in the pipe that was thought to be the source of the leak. They did not say how big the hole was.

The temperature of the water flowing through the pipe at the time of the accident was about 300 degrees Fahrenheit, said Akira Kokado, deputy plant manager.

Four workers died after suffering severe burns. Of the seven injured workers, two were in critical condition, three were in serious condition and the remaining suffered minor injuries.

“The ones who died had stark white faces,” said Yoshihiro Sugiura, the doctor who treated them at the Tsuruga City Hospital. “This shows they had rapidly been exposed to heat.”

All the workers were employees of Kiuchi Keisoku Co., an Osaka-based subcontractor of Kansai Electric. They had been inside the turbine building to prepare for regular inspections of the plant, which began operating in 1976.

Government officials said there was no need to evacuate the area surrounding Mihama, a city of 11,500.

The plant’s No. 3 nuclear reactor automatically shut down when steam began spewing from the leak. Its two other reactors were operating normally.

Yosaku Fuji, president of Kansai Electric, apologized for the accident at a televised press conference.

“We are deeply sorry to have caused so much concern,” Mr. Fuji said. “There is nothing we can say to the four who lost their lives. We pray for their souls from the bottom of our hearts and offer our condolences to their families. We are truly sorry.”

Mr. Kokado said at a press conference that the metal erosion in the pipe was more extensive than Kansai Electric had expected. An ultrasound test might have detected the thinning, but Kansai Electric had never carried out such inspections, Mr. Kokado said, adding that the company might have to review the way it conducts checkups.

Resource-poor Japan is dependent on nuclear fuel for nearly 35 percent of its energy supply, and a government blueprint calls for building 11 more plants and raising electricity output from nuclear facilities to nearly 40 percent of the national supply by 2010.

The United States had a similar accident at the Surry nuclear power plant in southern Virginia almost two decades ago when an 18-inch steel pipe burst and released 30,000 gallons of boiling water and steam, killing four persons.

In Japan’s 1999 accident, a radiation leak at a fuel-reprocessing plant in Tokaimura, northeast of Tokyo, killed two workers and caused the evacuation of thousands of residents. The accident was caused by two workers who tried to save time by mixing excessive amounts of uranium in buckets instead of using special mechanized tanks.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide