- The Washington Times - Monday, December 27, 2004

CUDDALORE, India — The buzz of grim conversation in the darkened morgue was broken by a man’s shriek as a small body was lowered onto a bed. “My son, my king,” wailed Venkatesh, hugging the limp, shrouded bundle.

Thousands of miles away in Indonesia, farmer Yusya Yusman aimlessly searched the beaches for his two children lost in Sunday’s tsunami. “My life is over,” he said without emotion.

On the day disaster struck, Malaysian Rosita Wan, 30, recalled watching in horror as her 5-year-old son was gulped by the sea while he swam near the shore at Penang.

“I could only watch helplessly while I heard my son screaming for help. Then he was underwater and I never saw him again,” she said with a sob.

From India to Sri Lanka, children make up a large portion of victims of Sunday’s quake-born tidal waves. Thousands and thousands were drowned, battered and washed away by huge walls of water.

“The power of this earthquake and its huge geographical reach are just staggering,” said UNICEF Executive Director Carol Bellamy. Hundreds of thousands of children who managed to survive in the affected coastal communities now “may be in serious jeopardy,” she added.

The U.N. organization estimates that at least one-third of the tens of thousands who died were children, and the proportion could be up to half, said UNICEF spokesman Alfred Ironside in New York.

He said communities are suffering a double loss: dead children and orphaned boys and girls. “Our major concern is that the kids who survived the tsunami now survive the aftermath, because children are the most vulnerable to disease and lack of proper nutrition and water.”

Children make up at least half of the population in Asia. Many of them work alongside poverty-stricken parents in the fishing or related industries in coastal areas, so they were in harm’s way when the tidal waves struck. Many children from more affluent families would have been on the beaches for a stroll or for Sunday picnics.

In Sri Lanka, which suffered the biggest loss of life in the tsunami, crowds had come to the beaches to watch the sea after word spread that it was producing larger-than-normal waves.

Thousands of children joined their elders to see the spectacle. The waves brought in fish. The old and the young collected them. Many waited for more fun.

Then the 15- to 20-foot tidal waves hit the tropical island of about 20 million people.

“They got caught and could not run to safety. This is the reason why we have so many child victims,” said Rienzie Perera, a police spokesman who said reports from affected police stations indicated children accounted for about half the victims in Sri Lanka.

Yesterday, parents wept over the bodies of their children in streets and hospitals across the island.

Scenes of unimaginable grief and mourning were repeated across Asia.

About half of the nearly 400 people who perished in Cuddalore in India’s Tamil Nadu state were children, leaving the town stunned.

Under Hindu tradition, children are buried instead of being cremated like adults. For the grim task in Cuddalore, two pits — together about half the size of a basketball court — were dug near a river at the edge of this coconut palm-fringed town.

After one couple laid the body of their daughter in the deep pit, a bulldozer shoveled in sand and the little girl disappeared from view. They then stepped aside for others to bury their children, denied any chance for a service or private mourning.

Most of the children, ages 5 to 12, were buried as they were found — in their Sunday clothes — without the luxury of a shroud.

Local officials wanted to quickly finish the burial and the cremation of adult victims so they could turn their attention to helping those left alive.

“There will be a time for crying, but that will come later. Now the priority is to shelter those who survived,” said fisherman Akilan, 28, who lost two nephews when waves struck their house. Akilan uses only one name.

Bodies of young and old lay unclaimed at the town morgue, awaiting identification by relatives. Doctors called them in one by one over a public address system, while vans with wailing sirens brought in newly discovered bodies.

Many emerged from the morgue shaking their heads in silence after failing to identify any of the bodies as those of their loved ones.

Venkatesh, who uses only one name, found his 11-year-old son, Suman, as his body was lowered onto a gurney.

The 37-year-old man had been in Dubai, where he went three months ago as a construction worker. When his wife called from Cuddalore to tell him their boy was missing, Venkatesh flew home immediately and went straight to the morgue.

There, he found his wife and daughter minutes before Suman’s body was delivered.

“I never thought I would only see my son’s body,” cried Venkatesh, refusing even a sip of water.

Within moments, an identification tag was tied to the boy’s hand and his body taken inside.

As one of his relatives pulled him away, Venkatesh kept asking: “How can I go, leaving behind my son?”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide