- The Washington Times - Friday, February 20, 2004

Three construction workers were injured on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway yesterday when a driver racing with another car lost control and plowed through a construction site near Linthicum, Md.

The workers — a woman in her early 50s and two men in their late 20s — were struck by the vehicle, said Capt. John Scholz of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.

All three were transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore with head and internal injuries, Chief Scholz said. Their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, he said.

Maryland State Police officials said the driver of a green Volkswagen Jetta with Maryland tags was racing a white Honda Prelude in the southbound lanes of the parkway at about 11:55 a.m.

As the cars approached a marked construction zone that had closed the right lane of the two-lane parkway near the Interstate 195 exit, the driver of the Volkswagen abruptly changed lanes and was forced to brake aggressively to avoid a collision, police said.

The driver lost control of the Volkswagen and crossed into the construction area, striking the three workers. The force of the collision threw two of the workers over a guard rail.

The southbound lanes of the parkway were closed for more than an hour as police investigated the collision, said Kellie Boulware of the State Highway Administration.

The driver of the Volkswagen, who was not identified, was charged with operating an unsafe motor vehicle on a highway, unsafe lane changing, negligent driving, failure to control speed during a collision, driving a vehicle in a speed contest on a highway, and driving without current tags.

“The driver also had a few other [prior] citations,” Miss Boulware said.

Earlier yesterday, a pedestrian was struck and killed on Interstate 95 in Howard County.

The victim was hit by a tractor-trailer and numerous other vehicles north of Route 32 about 3 a.m., police said. The northbound lanes of I-95 in Howard County were closed for about four hours, police said.

This article is based in part on wire service reports.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide