- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 20, 2004

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A few miles southwest of the Strip, where the megawatt glare of the casinos meets a lonely stretch of desert, three young women were forced to walk into the night.

Only one crawled out alive.

Prosecutors say the gruesome incident began in the chilly, early-morning hours of March 5, 2003, when Kim Choy; her younger sister, Sophear; and friend Priscilla Van Dine went to retrieve their belongings from a spacious home in the suburbs.

What ensued was a confrontation with their would-be landlord that court documents contend ended with the man marching the three women into the desert and shooting them in the head.

Kim Choy survived. The man, Alfonso “Slinkey” Blake, is scheduled to be tried later this month for two counts of murder.

According to the documents, 19-year-old Sophear Choy met Mr. Blake a few months before the shootings while working as a cocktail waitress at a strip club. Choy, her older sister and her friend needed a place to live and Mr. Blake suggested his home.

The women changed their mind about living with Mr. Blake, an aspiring R&B; musician, after realizing he wanted them to be prostitutes.

The women moved some of their belongings into Mr. Blake’s house in late February 2003, and soon became suspicious after he said no one must know where they lived.

Kim Choy called Mr. Blake on March 4 and said the three had changed their minds and wanted to pick up their belongings that night.

Shortly before 2 a.m., prosecutors said, Mr. Blake and three other female roommates arrived in two SUVs while the Choy sisters and Miss Van Dine were packing their belongings.

There was an argument and Kim Choy, 24, dialed 911 at 2:02 a.m. telling a dispatcher her sister was “getting beat up by a man.”

Mr. Blake then demanded the women take a walk in the desert. He was carrying a gun.

After about 50 feet, Miss Choy said, Mr. Blake ordered the women onto their hands and knees.

Miss Choy said she saw her sister, Sophear, and Miss Van Dine, 23, get shot in the head.

Kim Choy was struck in the back of the head by a bullet. She heard Mr. Blake run away. She was found by police officers who heard her faint cries after responding to the 911 call.

Authorities said Mr. Blake surfaced later that day in Southern California, checking into a Pasadena hospital under the name of “Marcus Edwards.”

He was released the next day and picked up by two of his roommates. The three were stopped by police in Barstow, California, halfway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, where Mr. Blake was arrested. No gun was found.

If convicted, Mr. Blake faces a possible sentence ranging from 40 years in prison to the death penalty.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide