- The Washington Times - Sunday, June 27, 2004

ANKARA, Turkey — Turkish police fired tear gas at more than 150 left-wing demonstrators who hurled rocks and tried to smash through a barricade in Ankara yesterday, just hours before President Bush arrived for a NATO summit.

Police used bomb-detecting dogs to comb the area around the hotel where Mr. Bush is expected to stay, and security officials closed streets throughout the capital, part of a massive operation after bombings Thursday in Ankara and Istanbul that killed four persons and injured 17.

Also yesterday, supporters of Jordanian-born militant Abu Musab Zarqawi said they had kidnapped three Turkish workers in Iraq, Arab TV station Al Jazeera reported. The terrorists threatened to behead the hostages within 72 hours if Turkish companies did not withdraw from Iraq.

Mr. Bush is unpopular in Turkey, where the overwhelming majority of the public opposed the war in neighboring Iraq. The execution of Turkish hostages in Iraq could increase tensions considerably.

In the Turkish capital of Ankara, about 6,000 people, mostly members of trade unions and leftist groups, gathered before Mr. Bush’s arrival, with some chanting, “Murderer U.S.A., get out of the Middle East.”

About 150 people broke away from the rally and marched to a police barricade, chanting, “We will go beyond barricades protecting Bush,” and “We will make Bush’s Ankara visit hell.”

Police then fired tear gas at the group from an armored personnel carrier.

A few minutes later, the group, called the Socialist Platform of the Downtrodden, again attacked the barricade, throwing rocks at police. Officers again responded with tear gas.

Mr. Bush’s visit followed a series of protests and bomb blasts, including one Thursday that injured three people outside the Ankara hotel where Mr. Bush was expected to stay. Another blast that day on an Istanbul bus killed four persons and injured 14 others.

Yesterday, a small bomb attached to a banner protesting the summit and Mr. Bush’s visit went off in downtown Istanbul, causing no injuries.

Two small bomb blasts overnight caused minor damage but no injuries in the southern city of Adana, and police defused a remote-controlled bomb placed under a car in the Black Sea port of Zonguldak, the Anatolia news agency said.

The bombings have been blamed on militant leftists, and Turkish police have detained scores of suspected members of radical groups.

Militant Kurdish, Islamic and leftist groups are active in the country, and security in Istanbul has been of special concern since November, when four suicide truck bombings blamed on al Qaeda killed more than 60 people.

More than 23,000 police officers will be on duty during the NATO summit, which British Prime Minister Tony Blair, French President Jacques Chirac and other leaders also will attend.

Mr. Bush meets with Turkish leaders in Ankara early today before heading to Istanbul for the NATO summit.

Turkish commandos patrolled the Bosporus, bisecting Istanbul in rubber boats with mounted machine guns, while bomb squads used trained dogs to comb the streets around the Ankara hotel where Mr. Bush was expected to stay. Roads throughout the two cities have been closed.

“All necessary measures have been taken for the NATO summit,” Deputy Prime Minister Abdullatif Sener said. “People with bad intentions will not be given a chance.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide