- The Washington Times - Sunday, March 14, 2004

No. 2 Maryland 8, No. 16 Towson 6

Maryland’s big lead after three quarters looked like it would be more than enough against seemingly punchless Towson yesterday.

It was — barely — as the Terrapins held off the Tigers in an error-filled game before 2,495 at Byrd Stadium.

Tim McGinnis made 15 saves for the Terps (3-0), who looked far different than they had in impressive routs of Georgetown and Duke to open the season.

The Terps led 8-1 entering the fourth quarter, but Towson (1-2) then steadily chipped away. Peyton Chane pulled the Tigers within 8-5 with 4:48 left, and freshman Bobby Griebe’s man-up goal less than two minutes later cut Maryland’s lead to two.

“We got to 8-1, but it was really kind of fool’s gold,” Maryland coach Dave Cottle said. “We weren’t playing well to get there.”

Maryland’s usually dominant defense regrouped in the last few minutes. Senior defenseman Chris Passavia forced two turnovers, including one on Towson freshman Keith Obloj with 90 seconds left to seal the victory.

“That was clearly the play of the game,” McGinnis said. “Chris shut his guy down, stripped the guy and picked up a tough, hard-nosed groundball and then made the right pass. That stopped all the momentum they had.”

Yet for the most part, the afternoon was primarily an exhibition of sloppy play and poor decisions. The teams combined for 54 turnovers, including a ghastly 19 in the first quarter. The constant whistles for balls bouncing out of play, with some television timeouts sprinkled in, destroyed what little continuity either team was able to accomplish.

“Our level of play was pretty consistent throughout,” said Maryland midfielder Justin Smith, who recorded his first hat trick since transferring from UMBC two seasons. “It was pretty ugly … We couldn’t hold the ball on offense too long. We were kind of run-and-gun today out of nowhere. But they did a great job of coming back and giving us a scare.”

Part of the reason was solid defense. Towson was on target with most of its shots early on, but McGinnis made eight saves before the half to stifle the frustrated Tigers.

The Terps managed only two shots on goal in the first quarter, including Brendan Healy’s goal in the first minute, but Maryland eventually took charge. Smith scored twice in the second quarter to help the Terps take a 4-0 lead. The Tigers finally scored with 50 seconds left in the first half.

Towson’s offense quickly went back into hibernation as the Terps ripped off four straight goals before the Tigers ended a scoring drought of 20:27 early in the fourth quarter. It was a bit too late for Towson, which outshot the Terps 13-4 in the final period.

“Everybody took a turn dropping it,” said Towson coach Tony Seaman, whose team committed 26 turnovers. “Everybody took a turn being scared or playing very apprehensively. When we got rid of that in the fourth quarter, we played lacrosse and played as well as we could play.”

No. 5 Princeton 8, No. 14 Virginia 7

CHARLOTTESVILLE — Dave Law made 15 saves as the Tigers (2-1) sent the Cavaliers (1-4) to their first four-game losing streak since 1987.

No. 6 Georgetown 10, Penn St. 8

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Neal Goldman scored the go-ahead goal with 6:28 left as the Hoyas (2-1, 1-0 ECAC) rallied to defeat the Nittany Lions (2-3, 0-1).

No. 17 Navy 11, Bucknell 5

ANNAPOLIS — Ian Dingman had four goals and two assists and Joe Bossi added three goals as the Midshipmen (3-1, 2-0 Patriot) ran past the Bison (2-2, 0-1).

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide