- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 30, 2004

BALTIMORE — A man accused of killing three homeless men in what he and his friends referred to as “bum stomping” faced one victim’s brother in court yesterday and smiled after the brother said he should spend the rest of his life in prison.

Harold “Jay” Waterbury, 20, was scheduled to be sentenced for the April 2001 killing of Gerald Joseph Holle, a 55-year-old transient from San Francisco who was living under a South Baltimore bridge.

But Judge M. Brooke Murdock postponed the sentencing hearing until April 8 at the request of the defense, which planned to argue for a retrial.

Waterbury was convicted in November of first-degree murder in Mr. Holle’s death. He also has been charged with killing two other homeless men.

In a statement, Andy Holle, Gerald Holle’s brother, described Waterbury as a “joy killer” who should at least be sentenced to life in prison without parole, the maximum sentence he could get. The judge allowed Mr. Holle to give his statement yesterday because he had traveled from California.

“This guy murdered my brother for no reason at all,” Mr. Holle said.

Prosecutors described “bum stomping” as the young men’s effort to “clean up” South Baltimore by beating homeless men until they died or left the area.

They used baseball bats, a crowbar, a steel pole and wooden sticks in the attacks. They were charged after bragging about the crimes.

In court, Andy Holle of San Francisco, angrily told Waterbury he would “like to show you what you did to my brother.”

When Waterbury smiled, Mr. Holle said across the courtroom: “You think it’s funny, but that’s because you’re over there.”

After the hearing, Waterbury gazed steadily at Mr. Holle and smiled as he was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs.

Two other men charged in Gerald Holle’s death already have been sentenced. Michael Farmer, 21, of Garden City, Kan., pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in September 2002 and received a life sentence. He also pleaded guilty in the bludgeoning death of 46-year-old George Williams.

Daniel Ennis, 19, pleaded guilty in May to second-degree murder and received a 20-year prison sentence.

Waterbury also is charged in the fatal beatings of Mr. Williams and a third homeless man, Harry Lawhorn, 47.

Waterbury’s sentencing hearing was delayed because his attorney, Angela Shelton, was sick. A substitute attorney from the public defender’s office, Bridget Sheppard, asked for the delay because she didn’t know enough about the case.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide