- The Washington Times - Friday, November 5, 2004

A deputy U.S. marshal charged with murder in a fatal shooting last week has a history of infractions as a law-enforcement officer and past problems with domestic violence — a pattern prosecutors said may explain why he fatally shot a Navy seaman after a fistfight in a Rockville parking lot.

Marshal Arthur Lloyd, 53, faces first-degree murder and other charges in the fatal shooting of Seaman Ryan Stowers, 20, in the back as the sailor tried to drive away from the scene of the Oct. 28 incident. Marshal Lloyd was off-duty at the time and his wife and children witnessed the shooting.

During a bond hearing yesterday, Montgomery County Deputy State’s Attorney John McCarthy said Marshal Lloyd’s wife and son had accused him of abuse. Mr. McCarthy said he also had been disciplined by the Marshals Service for infractions.

In 1985, Marshal Lloyd made a $10,000 payment to a federal inmate to settle a civil case against him after he tied the prisoner’s hands and feet, verbally abused the inmate and read him passages from the Bible, Mr. McCarthy said. He was suspended without pay but not charged.

The prosecutor also cited several cases where police were called to Marshal Lloyd’s home on reports of domestic abuse. In 1999, he reportedly threw his 18-year-old son through a glass window. His wife also obtained at least two protective orders against her husband after he reportedly threatened to kill her in 1999 and broke a kitchen door with her head in 2001.

In all cases, Marshal Lloyd’s son and wife later asked for the orders to be dropped or did not cooperate with police. He was never charged with any crimes, Mr. McCarthy said.

The pattern of violence may explain why a traffic altercation escalated into a lethal shooting, Mr. McCarthy said.

“This was a man out of control,” he said.

Montgomery County District Court Judge Brian Kim ordered Marshal Lloyd to be held without bond on the charges of murder, reckless endangerment and use of a handgun during a felony. He could face life in prison without parole if convicted.

Marshal Lloyd, who suffered a broken thumb and black eye during the fight, appeared from the county detention center via a video link. He spoke only to answer simple questions from the judge and propped the large cast on his left forearm on the podium in front of him.

Halfway through the hearing, a man identified as Marshal Lloyd’s brother collapsed and had to be taken out of the courthouse on a stretcher.

One side of the small courtroom was filled with family, friends and fellow marshals. His wife, Wanda Lloyd, who prosecutors said had tried to stop the shooting, sat in the front row.

Defense attorney Stefanie Roemer said Marshal Lloyd did not intend to kill Seaman Stowers and did his best to defuse the incident. She said the deputy first shot Seaman Stowers in the ankle with his service handgun to try to stop the fight and that he was trying to protect his wife and children, who sat in a nearby sport utility vehicle.

“If anything, Mr. Lloyd exercised restraint in the face of a dangerous situation,” she said. “He could have just shot him in the back.”

Miss Roemer said Marshal Lloyd, a 28-year veteran of the Marshals Service who was posted at U.S. District Court in Washington, had a clean criminal record despite the reports of domestic violence and prisoner abuse.

“It’s a shame he’s been characterized as a hothead, a gunslinger. That’s not him at all,” said Matthew Fogg, who served with Marshal Lloyd for 20 years.

According to Mr. McCarthy and court documents, Marshal Lloyd and Seaman Stowers started fighting in the Mid-Pike Plaza parking lot after some form of traffic altercation. After Marshal Lloyd shot Seaman Stowers in the leg, the seaman called 911 and retreated to his car.

Marshal Lloyd pulled out his identification and ordered Seaman Stowers to get out of the car. Mr. McCarthy said one of the 40 witnesses interviewed told police that Marshal Lloyd shouted, “Move that car again and I’ll shoot you. I’ll shoot you in the head.”

Seaman Stowers pulled around the marshal and started to leave. According to Mr. McCarthy, Marshal Lloyd stepped in behind the car as it pulled away and fired three shots. One struck the sailor in the back, and he crashed into a nearby store.

However, Miss Roemer said Seaman Stowers drove his car toward Marshal Lloyd as he left, threatening the deputy and his family.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide