- The Washington Times - Thursday, September 9, 2004

VLADIKAVKAZ, Russia — In a terrifying videotape, 10-year-old Georgy Farniyev sat near a bomb, his hands behind his head and his face a mask of misery. He looked certain to die, but survived through luck, self-control beyond his years and enough grit to pull shrapnel out of his own arm.

Yesterday, Georgy described his ordeal from the back of an ambulance in the North Ossetian capital before flying to Moscow, where he will be treated for his wounds.

Just last week, Georgy was lined up with classmates and their parents at the No. 1 School in his hometown of Beslan, ready for the first day of school. Then terrorists began shooting in the air, herding about 1,200 children and adults into the gymnasium and starting a siege that would end with 326 hostages dead.

Georgy was with his Aunt Irina and 6-year-old cousin, Elbrus. Both also survived with injuries.

“They told us to ‘sit tight, and if you scream, we will kill 20 children.’ One terrorist had 20 children that were killed, and because of that, they came to kill us,” Georgy said.

There was not much water to drink, and only a few people were allowed to go to the bathroom during the two-day siege, he said.

“Children, women and even men were fainting. They were not giving us water,” said Georgy, who appeared emotionally numb — his thoughts and words swerving back and forth in time as he remembered his ordeal.

Some of the terrorists were bearded, but one was cleanshaven, Georgy said. At least two of the terrorists were women, and Georgy said they wore what looked like money pouches — “but there was no money, only explosives.”

After the siege began Sept. 1, the terrorists placed bombs around the gym floor and in the basketball hoops.

On the second day of the standoff, Georgy said the terrorists killed some adults and one girl — shooting one victim in front of the other hostages in the gym, but taking others away and killing them elsewhere.

On the videotape, apparently taken by the terrorists, Georgy sat close to the side of the gym where some of the explosives were concentrated. Georgy said he had been directly on a square-shaped explosive.

“One of the mines was right under us,” he said. “There were a lot of explosives, grenades, bombs.”

But at one point, Georgy was told to move, and it apparently saved his life.

“When they started to shoot and the bomb went off, it didn’t do anything to me, not even a scratch,” he said.

When the explosions began, Georgy rushed from the gym to a nearby room, then to a cafeteria where he was hit by shrapnel in his right knee and upper left arm. He limped into the kitchen and hid in a closet.

Georgy pulled the shrapnel from his arm and cleaned it with water, but was unable to remove the shrapnel from his knee. He said he found a telephone and tried to call for help, but it was broken.

A soldier later approached his hiding place and asked, “Are there any more Chechens?”

“I said ‘No,’” Georgy said. Someone then took his hand, and he was passed out a window and into a vehicle to be taken to safety.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide