- The Washington Times - Monday, April 11, 2005

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — An Army sergeant charged with a grenade attack that killed two U.S. officers in Kuwait went on trial yesterday as his attorney tried to stave off a possible death sentence by arguing that his client suffered from mental illness.

But a military prosecutor said Sgt. Hasan Akbar knew exactly what he was doing, pointing to his detailed diary entries before the March 2003 attack and the fact that he stole the grenades and cut power to his camp just before striking.

Premeditation is the central issue in the court-martial of the 33-year-old Sgt. Akbar, who confessed several times and reportedly told investigators that he carried out the attack in the opening days of the Iraq war because he was worried that U.S. forces would harm fellow Muslims.

With the facts of the attack not in dispute, his attorneys hope to spare him a possible death penalty on premeditated murder by showing a history of mental illness that stretched back to his teen years and was apparent to the military.

“The enemy was in Sgt. Akbar’s mind and had been there 15 years,” defense lawyer Maj. Dan Brookhart told the military jury in his opening statement.

Maj. Brookhart said that Sgt. Akbar’s mental illness stemmed from the sexual abuse of his sister by his stepfather and that as a teenager, he was diagnosed with depression and an adjustment disorder. He also developed a sleep disorder and sometimes fell asleep while standing up. In the Army, his problems led to Sgt. Akbar’s being demoted from a squad leader’s position and being given menial duties in his combat engineer company.

“He was basically a failure as a soldier,” Maj. Brookhart said. He noted that as the 101st Airborne Division awaited orders to invade Iraq in spring 2003, Sgt. Akbar was panicked by talk among his colleagues about their plans to kill Iraqis and rape women.

Military prosecutor Capt. John Benson countered that evidence indicates that Sgt. Akbar did extensive planning. In diary entries and actions — which included stealing grenades and turning off a generator that lit the camp — Sgt. Akbar laid the groundwork for his fatal attack.

The brigade was on alert for an enemy attack, Capt. Benson said, but “their enemy was already inside the wire.”

Fourteen soldiers were wounded, either by the grenades or when Sgt. Akbar opened fire with a rifle in the ensuing chaos.

One of the wounded, Capt. Mark Wisher, testified yesterday about being blown through the air by the blast. He was wounded on the right side of his body and suffered a collapsed lung, lacerated liver and punctured diaphragm.

“I heard something hit the wooden floor of our tent and then bounce. I’ve seen movies — Hollywood movies — and grenades sounded like that,” Capt. Wisher said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide