- The Washington Times - Saturday, August 27, 2005

SALISBURY, Md. — It’s still hard for Carla Green to believe the moment Allison Lamont Norman entered her life was the last time she would be able to walk.

That Thursday in April started out like any other day. Ms. Green had just put her 5-year-old son on a bus to the Shore Up program. Her next stop should have been at Chipman Elementary School to drop off her 8-year-old daughter.

As her white van pulled up to a stop sign, she saw something she would never forget — a man shooting and killing another man.

Then, the shooter came toward her.

“He scared the daylights out of me,” Ms. Green said. “He came up and said, ‘This is a carjacking.’”

Ms. Green stepped on the accelerator, but not before the man shot her five times — in the chest, stomach, back and arm. “I wasn’t planning to stay,” she said. “I thought he was going to kill me.”

Ms. Green was the last of eight victims in a 45-minute shooting spree April 7.

According to police reports, Mr. Norman, 22, of Seaford, Del., armed with a pistol and protected by body armor, began shooting people at random in Laurel, Del., Delmar, Del., and Salisbury as he made his way south.

The first victim was Jamell Weston, 24, of Laurel, who died after being shot in the face, police said. The gunman shot at several other motorists and killed Davondale M. Peters, 28, of Salisbury while trying to force his way into Mr. Peters’ truck. Wicomico County sheriff’s deputies later subdued Mr. Norman.

A grand jury indicted Mr. Norman on June 6 on more than 100 criminal charges — from attempted murder to assault — for related crimes during the spree.

Ms. Green said she must replay her brief, but lasting, encounter with Mr. Norman as he stands trial in October on first-degree murder charges.

As she sat in a wheelchair at Deer’s Head Center in Salisbury, Ms. Green remembered her final steps.

After the bullets pierced her body, her white van made two turns, she said. It came to a halt in the front yard of a Booth Street home. As her daughter ran for help, Ms. Green took a step out of the van, then another.

“That’s when I took my last steps,” she said.

She fell to the ground and waited for help.

As the police and ambulance arrived, she was bombarded with questions — her name, what happened, did she get a good look at the shooter?

Ms. Green underwent a three-hour surgery at Peninsula Regional Medical Center and stayed in the intensive care unit for weeks. During four weeks of physical and occupational therapy, she said her doctors tried but couldn’t help her any further.

Ms. Green spent time in a Western Shore medical facility receiving help. Days before Mr. Norman’s indictment, she was discharged. She stayed at home briefly, receiving help from a nurse two days a week and a nurse’s aide another two days.

But the wound in her stomach wasn’t healing. The nurses feared an infection, so Ms. Green went to Deer’s Head Center in Salisbury for medical attention.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide