- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 1, 2005

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Lawmakers and military officials said yesterday that President Bush’s proposal to boost government payments to families of U.S. troops killed in Iraq, Afghanistan and other war zones is a good start, but is too narrow.

Republicans suggested that those who die while training for combat missions also should be eligible for the increased death benefits. Democrats argued that the benefits should extend to all military personnel who die while on active duty.

Uniformed officials with the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force told the Senate Armed Forces Committee during a hearing on the proposal that the Defense Department should not give an extra $250,000 in benefits to surviving spouses and children based on the geography of where a death occurs.

“They can’t make a distinction. I don’t think we should either,” said Vice Adm. John B. Nathman, deputy chief of naval operations for the Navy.

Gen. T. Michael Moseley, the Air Force’s vice chief of staff, added, “I believe a death is a death, and I believe this should be treated that way.”

Under the Pentagon proposal, a tax-free “death gratuity,” now $12,420, would grow to $100,000 when the service member dies in a war zone as designated by the secretary of defense.

The Pentagon also would increase life-insurance benefits substantially. The $250,000 coverage offered to all service members at a subsidized rate under the Servicemen’s Group Life Insurance program would be raised to $400,000, and the government would pay the premiums on the extra $150,000 coverage for troops in a combat zone.

The increases would be retroactive to Oct. 7, 2001, when the United States launched its invasion of Afghanistan in response to the September 11 terrorist attacks. The families of the more than 1,500 troops who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since then would be eligible.

“We think the nation ought to make a larger one-time payment, quite apart from insurance, should you be killed in a combat area of operations,” said David Chu, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness.

At the hearing, Mr. Chu was pressed on why only those who died in Pentagon-designated combat zones were eligible for the one-time death gratuity payment.

“Our premier objective is to those fallen in Iraq and Afghanistan,” he said.

Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan, the ranking Democrat on the Armed Services Committee, said who qualifies for the death gratuity is just one of a number of problems with the Pentagon proposal.

“I obviously support the increases,” Mr. Levin said, “but I also believe that this should apply to survivors of all members who die on active duty,”

Sens. Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican, and Joe Lieberman, Connecticut Democrat, have introduced a bill that’s similar to the Pentagon proposal, although Mr. Sessions said that under their bill, the families of those killed while training in preparation for the war also would get the bigger payment.

After the hearing, Mr. Sessions said of the military, “I think we’ll probably try to give them more flexibility to include more people.”


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide