- The Washington Times - Saturday, January 1, 2005

Ex-agent’s daughter found dead in drum

PHILADELPHIA — Police have found the charred remains of a retired FBI agent’s daughter who disappeared nearly a month ago, authorities said yesterday.

The remains were identified as those of Deanna Wright McIntosh, 15, who was last seen with a friend at a nail salon near her home in Yeadon, Pa., on Dec. 3, prosecutors said.

Police said they have questioned a man who tipped off investigators about the remains, which were found Thursday in a rusted steel drum in Philadelphia. Prosecutors declined to say yesterday whether the man is a suspect.

The girl’s father, Jim McIntosh, retired from the Philadelphia bureau of the FBI about two years ago. Detectives said they do not believe the slaying was related to her father’s work.

Rabies survivor home from hospital

WAUWATOSA, Wis. — A teenager who became the first person known to survive rabies without a vaccination went home yesterday after nearly 11 weeks in the hospital, officials said.

Jeanna Giese, 15, “was very excited to be going home,” said hospital spokeswoman Jackie Gauger.

Jeanna was infected when a bat bit her at church Sept. 12 but she did not immediately seek treatment. She began showing symptoms of rabies Oct. 13 and was hospitalized two days later.

A team of physicians at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin gambled on an experimental treatment and induced a coma as part of efforts to stave off the usually fatal infection.

Suspects questioned in laser-beam incidents

Authorities investigating two incidents in which laser beams were aimed at aircraft flying over northern New Jersey have questioned several people but made no arrests, the FBI said yesterday.

The pilot of a corporate jet reported seeing the lasers Wednesday as he came in to Teterboro Airport to land. A police helicopter for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey flew over the area Friday to investigate, and also spotted the lasers.

FBI Special Agent Steve Kodak said yesterday that no one was in custody. A spokesman for the Port Authority said a Parsippany, N.J., resident was among those questioned.

Federal agents are looking into similar incidents involving lasers and aircraft, including cases in Cleveland, Washington, Houston, Colorado Springs, Colo., and Medford, Ore.

Man shoots co-worker, kills self at school

RICHMOND, Texas — An employee at a state school for the developmentally disabled shot a female co-worker, then killed himself, authorities said yesterday.

The woman, who was shot several times Friday in a dormitory at the Richmond State School, was expected to survive, said Chief Deputy Craig Brady of the Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Department.

Neither employee was identified, and no one else was injured in the shooting. Claire Chipman, a spokeswoman for the school, said authorities were investigating the case as domestic violence.

36 youths hurt in sledding accident

MINOT, N.D. — Thirty-six children were injured in a sledding accident during an all-night New Year’s Eve party hosted by a religious organization.

Three of the children were hospitalized, but all were in stable condition yesterday, hospital officials said. The others were treated and released.

Police Sgt. Winston Black said more than 100 children ages 12 to 19 attending a Youth for Christ event gathered at a high school about 4 a.m. to slide down a hill using sleds built out of cardboard boxes.

A sign posted on the hill prohibited sledding.

The children and Youth for Christ staff piled eight to 12 passengers on the sleds, then went down the hill in quick succession, Sgt. Black said. “The sleds struck rocks, a light pole and each other,” he said.

Teen arrested in slasher attacks

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Authorities were holding a man who purportedly dressed like the villain in the “Scream” movies and used a machete to slash his siblings and friend.

Rodrigo Marcelo Castro, 19, was in the Orange County Jail on $1 million bail in the slashing attack on his 23-year-old brother, his 14-year-old sister and a 20-year-old family friend, the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday.

The brother and sister were treated at a hospital and released after Friday’s attack. The injured friend did not require treatment, Anaheim police said.

“It is our belief it was his intent to kill his entire family, and he wanted to gain some notoriety for his actions,” Sgt. Rick Martinez said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide