- The Washington Times - Sunday, July 24, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) — A male violinist is suing the New York Philharmonic, saying female musicians were given preferential treatment.

Anton Polezhayev, 29, failed his probation and was asked to leave after the 2003-04 season, despite what he said were strong reviews of his playing. Meanwhile, seven female violinists won permanent jobs or rose above him in the section, according to his sex-discrimination lawsuit, filed last week in the state Supreme Court in Manhattan.

“They are damaging my career and embarrassing me in front of my colleagues and pretty much putting a black mark on me forever,” Mr. Polezhayev told the New York Times. “At this point, I feel it’s more important to stand up and do something about it.”

Mr. Polezhayev is demanding a permanent job, back pay and unspecified damages.

The philharmonic declined to discuss the case, but violinist Fiona Simon, chairwoman of the orchestra committee, which represents the musicians, said no discrimination had occurred.

“He didn’t get tenure be cause he wasn’t doing his job,” Mrs. Simon told the Times.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide