- The Washington Times - Thursday, June 16, 2005

Evangelical Darwinism

“It’s time to do something about all the Darwinism in our evangelical churches. No, I’m not talking about church members holding to the ideology of natural selection put forward by Charles Darwin’s infamous ‘Origin of Species.’ Instead, I mean the ways in which we inadvertently pick up the ‘Survival of the Fittest’ mentality and put it to work in our evangelism, our missions and our congregational business meetings. …

“We act like Darwinists when we highlight only those Christians who are ‘successful’ by the standards of this present world order. Hence, we feature testimonies by beauty queens and football players and sitcom stars. … But what would it say if we highlighted just as much the testimony of a mentally retarded woman who works part-time as a checkout girl at the local grocery store? …

“We are created in the archetypal image of a Nazarene carpenter who never won a corporate award, never sired a child and never sparked a political revolution.”

Russell D. Moore in “Darwinism in the Church Business Meeting” in the June/July issue of SBC Life

Responsible or not

“[Last week], the folks at NARAL Pro-Choice America [held] a press conference in downtown Washington to release a poll and a new message they swear will shake up — really, truly this time — the abortion debate. They’re going to talk about responsibility. …

“According to the poll, only 22 percent of Americans say abortions should be ‘generally available.’ Another 26 percent say ‘regulation of abortion is necessary, although it should remain legal in many circumstances.’ That’s a pro-choice total of just 48 percent, even when you phrase the second option to emphasize regulation. … These are grim numbers for the pro-choice folks.

“What is NARAL’s version of responsibility? … I put the question to the organization’s president, Nancy Keenan: What’s the difference between making an abortion decision responsibly and making it irresponsibly? ‘Women make all of their decisions responsibly,’ she says. But if every decision is a responsible decision, then responsibility means nothing.”

William Saletan, writing on “Bearing Right, Again,” Friday in Slate at www.slate.com

Forgotten film

” ‘Love With the Proper Stranger’ … opens with [Natalie] Wood, a salesgirl at Macy’s, confronting penniless jazz musician [Steve] McQueen to tell him she’s pregnant. … She wants his ‘help.’ … He scrambles to find some cash. … The appointed moment arrives. The couple appears at a dingy, back alley address. One creep takes their money. A crone appears as the abortionist. Wood proceeds into a dank room. McQueen stays behind a closed door. Sensing something is not right, he bursts in and rescues a terrified Wood before she and her child are mangled. If he didn’t love her before he does now. It will be a while before they can live happily ever after … but one thing is crystal clear: without life love wouldn’t have had a chance.

“For some reason, an entire Hollywood-media culture doesn’t consider that a cool message. Pro-choicers could easily argue that ‘Love With the Proper Stranger’ is really an argument for safe, legal abortions. But they must also know that the life-affirming charm of the movie itself would sweep such wishy-washy talk away in a flash. The culture of death now means a major part of the life of two Hollywood legends never occurred.”

Wlady Pleszczynski, writing on “It Ain’t Cool,” Friday in the American Spectator Online at www.spectator.org


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide