- The Washington Times - Thursday, June 9, 2005


President Nixon instructed FBI official W. Mark Felt to aggressively pursue the case against the gunman who shot George Wallace, according to a phone call between the president and the man who would become “Deep Throat.”

There must be no public suspicion of a cover-up, Mr. Nixon said, in the wounding of the Alabama governor who was at the time running for president.

The May 15, 1972, phone call is believed to be the only tape-recorded conversation between Mr. Nixon and Mr. Felt, who was the No. 2 FBI official. The president expressed satisfaction when Mr. Felt told him the suspect had some cuts and bruises.

“I hope they worked him over a little bit more than that,” Mr. Nixon said. “I think they did pretty well,” Mr. Felt responded with a chuckle.

The Watergate break-in occurred a month after the Nixon-Felt conversation was captured on a White House taping system that eventually helped lead to the president’s downfall. As “Deep Throat,” Mr. Felt was instrumental in forcing Mr. Nixon from office, leaking damaging information about the president and his aides to The Washington Post.

Many of the Nixon White House tape recordings housed at the National Archives have been in the public domain for several years and are now available on the Internet. The conversation with Mr. Felt was made available yesterday by the National Security Archive, an organization of journalists and scholars who collect government documentation through the Freedom of Information Act.

Mr. Wallace was the Democratic candidate opposing Mr. Nixon’s 1972 re-election bid. He was shot and left paralyzed by gunman Arthur Bremer during a Maryland campaign stop.

Mr. Nixon talked to Mr. Felt hours after the shooting, saying “the main thing is to be sure that we don’t go through the thing that we went through with the Kennedy assassination where we didn’t really follow up adequately.”

“We’ll take care of that,” Mr. Felt assured the president.

“You’ve got to remember that if we don’t follow it adequately with this fellow, they’re gonna think, ‘Well, my God if Kennedy is shot everybody goes to check everything, but with Wallace we sort of cover it up.’ You understand?”

“Yeah I sure do,” Mr. Felt replied.

“I don’t want any slip-ups, OK?” Mr. Nixon said.

“There’s no question about it,” Mr. Felt replied.

A few weeks before the Wallace shooting, Mr. Felt and other career agents at the bureau had been passed over by Mr. Nixon for director of the FBI. Mr. Nixon instead selected longtime loyalist L. Patrick Gray the day after the death of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.

The following year, after Mr. Gray resigned amid charges he had destroyed documents in the Watergate scandal, Mr. Nixon was heard on the White House tapes dismissing the idea of Mr. Felt becoming FBI director.

“No. I tell you, I don’t want him. I can’t have him,” Mr. Nixon told Attorney General Richard Kleindienst. “I want a fellow in there that is not part of the old guard, and that has not had part of that infighting in there.”

Mr. Nixon chose William Ruckelshaus, then administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide