- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 29, 2005

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Three teenagers charged with dumping mercury at Cardozo High School last month appeared in court yesterday and will return near the end of the school year to face trial.

A D.C. Superior Court judge set a trial date of June 10. A 15-year-old and two 16-year-olds are charged with dumping a hazardous material, cruelty to children and handling stolen property after the Feb. 23 incident.

A court spokeswoman said the suspects remain in the custody of their parents.

Cardozo Principal Reginald Ballard has said the suspects should get the most severe punishment allowed under the law, including expulsion.

The students were charged with deliberately spreading droplets of mercury throughout Cardozo, keeping students out of the building for several weeks. A grandmother of one of the suspects said the boy took the mercury from the school’s science lab as a prank and didn’t know how dangerous it can be.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide