- The Washington Times - Friday, May 27, 2005

Veteran safety Cory Hall abruptly quit the Washington Redskins yesterday, demonstrating just two days after signing how sincere he was about retiring and pursuing a coaching job at Washington State.

Several weeks ago Hall short-circuited a comeback attempt with the Atlanta Falcons in similar fashion. He signed with Washington on Tuesday only after being talked into extending his playing career by agent Peter Schaffer and several other associates.

A club spokesman said the six-year veteran told team officials his heart simply wasn’t in it. Hall and Schaffer couldn’t be reached for comment.

The loss isn’t major, because Hall would have been the sixth safety on Gregg Williams’ defense. The Redskins probably couldn’t have kept that many on the 53-man roster even though Williams relies heavily on the position.

Meanwhile, free-agent cornerback R.W. McQuarters underwent a physical at Redskin Park and departed without signing, apparently to visit other teams. The seven-year veteran became available Monday when he was released by the Chicago Bears. The New York Giants are rumored to be interested as well.

?I think he’s going to consider his options,? Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. ?We had a great discussion. We had a good visit. … We’ll see what happens down the road.?

Gibbs failed to provide any indications of what the Redskins might do next week in the post-June 1 period of free agency. Teams can cut veterans in a cap-friendly way after June 1, and there is at least one player, linebacker Mike Barrow, who logically would be released in that manner.

?As far as June 1 is concerned, you just try to look out for what is best for the Redskins,? Gibbs said. ?You’ve got to make some decisions in there sometimes. But as far as specifically discussing somebody, I don’t think I should do that. In fact, the league doesn’t want you to do that.?

Washington could save $1.74 million by cutting Barrow after 4 p.m. Wednesday. Those funds would be crucial to signing first-round draft picks Jason Campbell and Carlos Rogers.

Wide receiver Rod Gardner also is expected to be released at some point (for a $2.1 million savings), but because he is in the last year of his contract, the June 1 date doesn’t factor into the decision. The Redskins still appear to be waiting for a viable trade offer for Gardner.

Another player who could be in jeopardy after Wednesday is return man Chad Morton, who has been modestly productive as a Redskin and is coming off an ACL tear. He represents just $540,000 of possible savings, meaning the club might bring him to training camp and make a decision based on his performance there.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide