- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 8, 2005

Parking meter agent charged in theft

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The man who was in charge of emptying parking meters in the town of Mount Kisco has been accused of stealing more than $30,000 in quarters.

Jason Berke, 29, was charged with grand larceny, Westchester County District Attorney Jeanine Pirro said Friday.

Defense lawyer James Lenihan said Mr. Berke pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Thursday night.

Miss Pirro said that from April to December 2004, Mr. Berke deposited coins once a week in change machines at grocery stores to get cash.

The thefts stopped after village officials, suspecting a loss of parking-meter revenue, changed the meter collection procedures, the district attorney said.

Elderly man dies after being beaten

LEESBURG, Fla. — A 94-year-old wheelchair-bound man was badly beaten inside his garage and died at the hospital later in the day, police said.

Police believe Irwin R. Null went into his garage Friday morning to meet a man who was interested in buying his van. Mr. Null was selling the vehicle because he can no longer drive.

Mr. Null’s 91-year-old wife heard him moaning a while later, but she could not get inside the garage because his wheelchair was blocking the door.

She called 911 and police broke down a side door. Officers found the retired truck driver and World War II veteran lying on the floor with a head wound pleading for help.

City told to stop housing kids at office

LOS ANGELES — Space-strapped foster care officials have been ordered to stop housing youngsters in the waiting room of the county Department of Children and Family Services’ downtown office.

The state ruled last week that the waiting room was an illegal foster home and ordered the practice stopped by May 20.

Los Angeles County records show children have been staying there since 2003, when an emergency children’s shelter was closed to settle a lawsuit claiming the county was dumping children with mental health problems there.

Two-year-old girl dies after dog mauling

WATERFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A 2-year-old girl died Friday after she apparently was mauled by her family’s two huskies in her back yard, police said.

The child’s mother and grandparents were in the house at the time and her mother called 911 after the child was found outside, police said.

“I can only say that the officers described it as horrific,” Police Chief John Dean said.

The 5-year-old female dogs, which weighed 80 pounds and 60 pounds, were taken by animal control officials after the attack. Officials said they planned to have the animals destroyed with either the family’s permission or a court order.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide