- The Washington Times - Sunday, November 27, 2005

BLACKSBURG, Va. — No.5 Virginia Tech will have a chance to defend its ACC football title, thanks to a third-quarter outburst in a 30-3 victory over North Carolina last night at Lane Stadium.

The Hokies (10-1, 7-1 ACC) wrapped up the Coastal Division title and will play for their second conference title in just two ACC seasons when they meet Florida State in the inaugural ACC championship Saturday night in Jacksonville, Fla. North Carolina (5-6, 4-4 ACC) failed to become bowl eligible because of the loss.

Senior tailback Cedric Humes and his freshman backup, Branden Ore, combined for 102 yards and scored all three of Tech’s touchdowns in the third quarter. They carried the ball 17 of the 19 plays in the three scoring drives.

“I thought the offensive line took over, and Humes and Ore did a good job,” Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said. “There were some pretty good holes in there today.”

Said Humes: “It was just a good day for the running game.”

Humes rushed for a career-high 134 yards and Ore 104 yards, the second consecutive game the tandem rushed for more than 100 apiece. The last time Virginia Tech fielded two 100-yard rushers in consecutive games was 2002 against Boston College and Rutgers when Kevin Jones and Lee Suggs accomplished the feat.

“We just tried to attack the holes when we seen them,” Ore said.

Tech took control of the game as Humes ripped off six straight runs, three for first downs and one for a 1-yard touchdown. Humes gained all 45 yards on a drive that put the Hokies up 13-3.

Victor Harris had partially blocked a David Wooldridge punt, which traveled just 23 yards, giving Tech field position in North Carolina territory for the first time. Humes took over from there.

“We played on their side of the 50,” Beamer said. “You got to give the defense credit.”

Ore made it 20-3, rushing four yards off right tackle with 4:47 left in the third quarter. His 20-yard run on third-and-1 put the Hokies inside the 10.

Humes bulled his way up the middle for three yards, carrying several tacklers with him into the end zone with 1:35 remaining. The scoring run came on third-and-goal, putting the Hokies ahead 27-3.

Senior defensive end Darryl Tapp helped Tech hold the Tar Heels to 27 yards total offense in the third.

After a scoreless first quarter, Carolina’s Connor Barth lined up for a 33-yard field goal to start the second, but Tapp broke through the middle to get both hands on the kick, his first career field goal block.

The Hokies scored first after Humes broke a 39-yard run off right tackle. Four plays later senior tight end Jeff King made a diving grab, snaring the ball just above his left foot for a 1-yard score. Brandon Pace was wide left on the point after, his first miss in 45 attempts.

Barth’s 25-yard field goal put the Tar Heels on the board seconds before halftime. North Carolina’s Kareen Taylor intercepted Marcus Vick at midfield to set up the scoring drive with 1:16 left.

The free safety returned the pass 20 yards. Matt Baker connected with wide receiver Jesse Holley, taking the ball to the 8-yard line with 17 seconds to play. Two plays later Holley dropped a pass in the end zone.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide