- The Washington Times - Sunday, November 27, 2005

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

Police bust gay ‘wedding’

DUBAI — More than two dozen homosexual Arab men — arrested at what police called a mass homosexual “wedding” — could face government-ordered hormone treatments, five years in jail and a lashing, authorities said yesterday.

The Interior Ministry said police raided a hotel chalet earlier this month and arrested 22 men, some dressed as female brides, as they celebrated the “wedding” ceremony.

The arrested men have been questioned by police and were undergoing psychological evaluations yesterday. The Interior Ministry said it would try to direct the men away from homosexual behavior — using methods including male hormone treatments, if the men are found to be deficient.



UGANDA

Summit approved despite jailing

VALLETTA, Malta — The 53-member Commonwealth said yesterday it would go ahead with plans to host its 2007 summit in Uganda despite a dispute over the jailing of an opposition leader.

Commonwealth Secretary-General Don McKinnon told a press conference that he was confident of a resolution of the problem before the next biennial summit, the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni was forced here to explain the decision to arrest his main rival, Kizza Besigye, leader of the opposition Forum for Democratic Change.

A military tribunal in Kampala on Thursday charged him with terrorism and possession of illegal weapons, adding to treason and rape charges he faces before a criminal court.

KENYA

Opposition celebrates after win at polls

NAIROBI — Kenyan opposition groups staged a mass rally here yesterday to celebrate the rejection of a new constitution they opposed and to renew demands for President Mwai Kibaki to call snap elections.

About 10,000 people crowded into Nairobi’s Uhuru Park for the raucous demonstration, noisily congratulating themselves for the overwhelming vote in Monday’s referendum to reject the charter that Mr. Kibaki had backed.

The rejection of the referendum by nearly 60 percent of voters was seen as a no-confidence vote in Mr. Kibaki, who swept to power on a reform platform but has been criticized since for lackluster performance.

ARGENTINA

Stolen paintings return after 25 years

BUENOS AIRES — Three paintings by French masters stolen a quarter-century ago were put back on exhibition Friday at the Argentine National Fine Arts Museum.

The paintings — “La route” (Bend of the road) by Paul Cezanne, “La tete de jeune fille au Ruban bleu” (Portrait of a Lady) by Pierre-Auguste Renoir, and “Le cri” (The cry) by Paul Gauguin — have a combined value of $1 million, officials said.

The museum and Culture Ministry officials said the art works were located in 2002 at a Paris gallery, where they had been brought by a Taiwanese man claiming to represent a Chinese investor. The investor said he bought them from a Brazilian senator who said he inherited them from his family.

The paintings — among nearly two-dozen stolen from the Argentine museum in 1980 — had been listed as missing by Interpol for years, the museum and ministry officials said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide