- The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 8, 2005

From combined dispatches

Abstinence educators have asked the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to investigate taxpayer funding for their opponents, after a group of “safe sex” activists disrupted a conference in Baltimore last week.

The Abstinence Clearinghouse condemned protesters from the group Housing Works, saying the activists “stormed the stage and physically accosted” Claude Allen, deputy secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, during his presentation at a conference on scientific evaluation of abstinence education programs.

Libby Gray Macke, director of Project Reality, an Illinois-based abstinence-education group, said the protesters were attempting to deflect attention from problems with “safe-sex” programs advocated by such groups as the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States.

“Once again, SIECUS and other comprehensive sex ed advocates prefer to attack successful programs rather than have the content of their own recommended programs exposed,” she said. “We hope that the GAO will investigate these programs to ensure that children are not exposed to these dangerous programs.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide