- The Washington Times - Thursday, September 29, 2005

ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Army said yesterday its investigators could not confirm that grisly photographs of purported Iraqi war dead on an Internet site were posted by U.S. soldiers, but the matter has stirred concern at the Pentagon.

Paul Boyce, an Army spokesman, said the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division in recent days concluded from a preliminary inquiry that there was insufficient evidence to pursue felony charges against anyone.

“While this may not rise to the level of a felony crime, it’s still serious,” Mr. Boyce said.

Mr. Boyce and other officials said that while no criminal investigation would be pursued based on currently available evidence, it remained possible that disciplinary action could be taken against individual soldiers if it can be verified they used government computers to transmit digital photographs of Iraqi war dead. Such an act could be deemed a violation of Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which proscribes behavior that undermines good order and discipline or brings discredit to the military.

Gen. Peter Schoomaker, the Army chief of staff, sent a message to soldiers in the field yesterday reminding them of guidelines issued by the Defense Department and the Army regarding “Internet safety.” He referred mainly to prohibitions on posting information or photos that jeopardize troop security.

He did not mention the corpse photos, and spokesmen said his message was not in reaction to news stories this week describing the Web site that offers access to online pornography in exchange for corpse photos.

Some of the photos show dismembered corpses, described in accompanying Web postings as Iraqis killed in U.S. attacks. Some show what appear to be internal human organs; others show what look like charred human remains.

Mr. Boyce said Army investigators could not verify that U.S. soldiers were involved because the postings on the Web site were anonymous and investigators were unsure of the authenticity and origin of the photographs. He said the matter had been referred to U.S. commanders in Iraq.

“We have no bona fide evidence that the U.S. military is behind this,” said another Army spokesman, Col. Joseph Curtin.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide