Saturday, April 22, 2006

Mother sentenced for tying up son

DURHAM, N.C. — A woman was sentenced to at least five years in prison after pleading guilty to tying her son to a doorknob so tightly that he developed gangrene and lost a leg.

Tanekeia Justice, 30, was sentenced Thursday to five to seven years on a charge of felonious child abuse involving serious and permanent injury.

The 4-year-old malnourished boy was tied to a doorknob in 2004 to prevent him from attempting to feed himself at night, prosecutor Mitchell Garrell said. When the boy tried to free himself, the restraining cord wound more tightly around his leg and cut off the blood supply, Mr. Garrell said.

Man acted alone in arsenic poisonings

PORTLAND, Maine — The only person implicated in the arsenic poisonings that killed one person and sickened 15 others at a northern Maine church three years ago said in a handwritten suicide note that he acted alone.

Daniel Bondeson’s blood-streaked note was found in the farmhouse where he shot himself on May 2, 2003, five days after the poisonings at Gustaf Adolph Lutheran Church in the community of New Sweden.

Police had refused to release the note on grounds of confidentiality, but the Portland Press Herald reported yesterday that it obtained the note’s contents from a police affidavit.

“I acted alone. I acted alone. One dumb poor judgment ruins life but I did wrong,” read the note, in which the first “I acted alone” was underlined.

Carpenter caught working nude

OAKLAND, Calif. — A carpenter who keeps his clothes clean by working in the nude was arrested after a client returned home early and found him building bookcases in the buff.

Percy Honniball, 50, was charged with misdemeanor indecent exposure last week for the October incident.

He told officers he stripped before crawling under the client’s house to do electrical work because he didn’t want to soil his clothes, police said.

Mr. Honniball was caught working naked in Berkeley three times in the past six years and put on probation for violating a city ordinance.

Terror suspect appears in court

NEW YORK — A 19-year-old suspected of meeting with Islamic extremists to discuss possible U.S. targets for a terrorist attack sat silently in a courtroom yesterday during a brief hearing that followed his extradition from Bangladesh.

Ehsanul Islam Sadequee, a U.S. citizen who grew up near Atlanta, is accused of making materially false statements linked to an ongoing federal terrorism investigation.

Mr. Sadequee was sent to a federal detention center after the preliminary hearing in Brooklyn. Defense attorney Douglas Morris declined to comment on the case outside court, and the terror suspect is due back in court on Friday.

Plot suspects remain in custody

RIVERTON, Kan. — Five teenagers suspected of plotting a shooting rampage at their high school will stay in custody through the weekend while prosecutors decide whether to file charges, a judge ruled yesterday .

The boys ages 16 to 18 were arrested Thursday, the anniversary of the Columbine massacre, after school officials learned that a threatening message had been posted on, authorities said.

District Judge Robert Fleming signed an affidavit yesterday that said there was probable cause to think a crime was committed, Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline said.

He said he will determine early this week whether to file criminal charges and whether to have the four juveniles tried as adults.

Bail was set at $500,000 for each of the teens. Their next bail hearing was set for tomorrow.

Man sentenced for abduction, rape

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A man accused of kidnapping a sleeping 2-year-old boy from his bed, raping him and then leaving him in some bushes was sentenced to three consecutive life terms in prison.

Jurors convicted Damion Winston Foster, 29, last month on charges of kidnapping, rape, burglary and sexual abuse.

Authorities said Foster reached through a broken window on April 5, 2004, and grabbed the sleeping boy, who is now 4 years old.

The child’s parents discovered him missing about 4 a.m. and called police. The toddler was found 30 minutes later in a bush — naked, bloody and with duct tape wrapped around his head.

A fingerprint left on the duct tape matched Foster’s, authorities said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide