- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 23, 2006

In just his third start of the season, Georgetown goalie Rich D’Andrea had 15 saves as the No. 5 Hoyas beat No. 8 UMass 8-6 yesterday at Multi-Sport Field.

The Hoyas dominated every aspect of the game early to lead 3-0 after the first quarter. But UMass made a comeback in the third and fourth quarters — only to be stopped by D’Andrea in the net.

D’Andrea, a graduate student, was the Hoyas starting goalie in his first three seasons but has been playing defensive midfielder this year. He returned to the net to replace Miles Kass, who was injured against Mount St. Mary’s on March 28. Coach Dave Urick is still unsure what Kass’ status will be next week.

“It’s been tough this year with Miles hurt,” defenseman Reyn Garnett said. “I’ve been used to [D’Andrea] for three years playing goal and now he’s back and its great.”

The Hoyas’ first goal came on an extra man opportunity. Midfielder Chase Gahan took an open shot over Minutemen goalie Doc Schneider’s shoulder from 10 yards out on a feed by Sean Denihan at 9:10. MIdfielder Pete Cannon and attackman Jake Samperton each added unassisted goals.

The Hoyas won all four faceoffs in the first quarter.

UMass began the second quarter with a three-minute possession, its longest of the game to that point, that yielded a goal from attackman Clay Stabert to make the game 3-1. Brett Garber added another for UMass, but Georgetown again took control in the last five minutes and added three more to lead 6-2 at the half.

The Hoyas (9-2, 4-1) and Minutemen (8-3, 3-2) have won or shared every ECAC title since the league started in 2000.

Seven Hoyas scored, and Cannon led the team with two goals to give him nine on the year.

Senior attackman Sean Morris, who entered the game leading the nation in scoring with 4.5 points a game, was shut down through most of the first half. Garnett shadowed the Tewaaraton Trophy finalist and kept him without a point until 5:59 remained in the first half, when he assisted on Garber’s goal.

“They were kind of shadowing me the whole first half,” Morris said. “I’ve seen it all year.”

But Morris led the comeback with three goals — all in the third quarter — which led the Hoyas to switch their defensive matchup and put junior Jerry Lambe on him.

“You’re not gonna shut him down,” Urick said. “You just hope he doesn’t have a career day against you.”

Georgetown led 7-6 after the third quarter, and D’Andrea kept the Minutemen from tying it up.

He had seven of his 15 saves in the fourth quarter, including one on senior attackman Bret Caretsky right on the crease that would have tied the game. The Minutemen outshot the Hoyas in the final period 13-6.

“To be honest with you [D’Andrea] doesn’t particularly like playing in the goal. He’d really rather be out there playing defensive midfield,” Urick said. “But he’s starting to like it a little more now, I think.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide