- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 26, 2006



Wife shows burns at husband’s trial

A woman who was doused with gasoline and set on fire last summer showed a Prince George’s County jury yesterday her burns and scars.

Yvette Cade spent 1 hour and 45 minutes on the witness stand yesterday in the trial of her estranged husband, Roger B. Hargrave, who is charged with attempted murder and assault in the attack last fall.

Mrs. Cade remained poised and calm as she removed her jacket, hiked up her wide-legged pants and removed a knit cap to show the damaged flesh on her face, chest, arms, legs and hands.

She told the jury how Mr. Hargrave called her 15 times in the hours before the Oct. 10 attack and threatened to “fry me like Crisco” if she didn’t take him back. Later, she said, he confronted her at the T-Mobile store where she worked, poured the gasoline on her from a soda bottle, chased her outside and lit her clothes with a match.

Mrs. Cade has had more than a dozen surgeries and spent about three months in the hospital.


Couple gunned down in drug-infested area

A pregnant woman and her boyfriend from Westminster were killed Sunday in an area of West Baltimore known for drug activity, police said.

Investigators are exploring the possibility that Jennifer Morelock, 25, and Jason Woycio, 29, were in the area to buy drugs, Officer Nicole Monroe said.

Family members told the Carroll County Times that Miss Morelock was eight-months pregnant and had planned to name the baby Ethan. She had an 18-month-old daughter named Kiersten, they said.

Carrie Morelock said her sister had been a recovering heroin addict for the past five years and was enrolled in a methadone treatment program.

And while police say they have not determined a motive, it occurred far from the tourist sections of Baltimore where residents complain about a thriving drive-through drug trade, Officer Monroe said.

Police said Miss Morelock drove to the area about noon Sunday with Mr. Woycio in the passenger seat. Miss Morelock got out of the car and was shot several times, collapsing on the sidewalk near an alley. The unknown gunman then fired several times into the car, hitting Mr. Woycio.

The two died shortly after arrival at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where an attempt to save Miss Morelock’s unborn child was unsuccessful.

Police have no suspects and have made no arrests.


Pit bull bites boy, 10 owners charged

Anne Arundel police charged the owners of a pit bull that attacked a 10-year-old boy in Pasadena yesterday morning.

Police were searching a neighborhood after receiving reports of an aggressive pit bull and collie chasing children about 8 a.m. when a screaming and crying 10-year-old girl ran up to an officer and said a dog was attacking her friend.

The officer went around the corner in the 200 block of Whitaker Road and saw the boy with the pit bull on top of him. Police said the dog was biting the boy and ran away as the officer got closer.

The officer placed the boy into a van for his protection and chased the dog to a nearby yard. The officer shot the dog twice, killing it, when it became aggressive.

The boy was taken to a hospital, where he was treated for bites and lacerations to his head, face and hands.

The owners, Maria Rosario Alejandre and Arturo Alejandre Miramontes, were charged with two counts of public safety threat. They relinquished all rights to the collie.


Truck flips on I-97, spills load of nails

Northbound Interstate 97 was closed last evening near the Crownsville Road exit after a truck overturned, spilling a load of nails all over the road.

State police spokesman Maj. Greg Shipley said two men who were in the truck ran off after the accident about 6 p.m.

He said the road would be closed for a couple of hours while crews clean up all the nails.


Two pupils injured by BB gun at school

Baltimore County police charged a 16-year-old Milford Mill High School student in a BB gun shooting that injured two students at the school yesterday morning.

The student was charged as a juvenile with first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault and having a deadly weapon on school property.

Police spokesman Cpl. Michael Hill said the shooting occurred in a locker room and was reported at 8:19 a.m.

Two students, ages 14 and 15, were treated at a hospital. One suffered a wound to the forehead. The other was wounded in the back.

Police recovered the BB gun after interviewing the suspect. The gun had been given to a friend who then turned it over to police.



Man gets year in jail for dumping remains

A Tennessee man who acknowledged dumping the remains of 136 dogs and a cat off the side of a road was sentenced to one year in jail and ordered to reimburse Scott County $10,304 for the cost of cleaning up the site.

Michael L. Badgett, 37, of Knoxville, was sentenced by Scott County Judge John Kilgore on Monday after pleading no contest in February to five of 137 misdemeanor counts of illegal dumping of a companion animal.

The judge ordered Mr. Badgett to serve two six-month jail sentences that will run concurrently, beginning May 8.

Mr. Badgett worked for RossAnn Services, a crematory company that has been shuttered by health officials. The company disposed of euthanized animals for several Knoxville veterinarians and the University of Tennessee.

Mr. Badgett spread the carcasses on private property along the banks of Obeys Creek, a tributary of the Clinch River. A road construction crew found them March 29, 2005.

“I know that I’ve done wrong in the past, and I am paying my debt to society. I’m trying to get things right,” Mr. Badgett told the judge.


Racist graffiti found on Va. Tech campus

Virginia Tech police have found more racist graffiti on campus, less than a week after students protested what they view as the school’s institutional racism.

Police say the racist epithet had been written yesterday with black marker on a dormitory wall. There are no suspects.

There have been several incidents of racist graffiti on campus at the school in the past few years and multiple incidents this semester.

Last week, about 150 students marched on Burruss Hall to protest what they see as institutional racism at Tech in the wake of the university’s dismissal of Chris Clement, a black political science professor. The university responded to the protests by vowing to form a task force on institutional approaches to race.


Killer gets $25,000 for abuse in prison

A federal jury awarded $25,000 to a convicted killer who was mistreated while in a Virginia prison.

The jury ruled that Charles Card is entitled to the monetary award for five separate instances in which he was strapped to a gurney in a five-point restraint for as long as 48 hours.

The jury declined to award punitive damages, which could have reached $1 million.

Card, who is serving a 30-year prison sentence, was being held at Virginia’s Sussex II penitentiary in Waverly in 1999 and 2000 when guards strapped him to a gurney with leather straps on both ankles and wrists and one strap around the chest.

The Department of Corrections said in court papers that guards were forced to restrain Card because he had become unruly, including threatening a guard’s life.


Body of teenager found in river

The body of a 16-year-old was found Monday afternoon in the Maury River, one day after he was swept over a dam.

Charles Volpe’s body was recovered near the dam west of the Maury River Bridge.

Authorities estimated that the river was a foot higher than normal and the currents were unusually swift when Charles and a friend went swimming. The friend got out safely on the south bank.


Reward increased in slaying of boy, 9

Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey yesterday increased the reward for information in the 2005 shooting death of 9-year-old Donte Manning to $125,000.

Donte was struck in the face by a stray bullet March 24, 2005, while he was playing outside an apartment complex at 2620 13th St. NW.

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of his death a month later at Children’s Hospital when his family took him off the respirator that had been keeping him alive.

Police said a gunman stood at the corner of 13th and Euclid streets and opened fire with a handgun.

Police officials repeatedly have expressed their frustration with the case, saying they think there are witnesses who have not come forward.

Police offer a standard reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in any homicide. The reward in Donte’s case was raised to $50,000 after he died and increased to $75,000 a month later. That same month, a private donor offered an additional $5,000.

Chief Ramsey increased the reward to a total of $100,000 in January.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide