- The Washington Times - Friday, April 7, 2006

SALISBURY, Md. (AP) — A county prosecutor yesterday dropped more than 100 charges against a man accused of killing two persons and wounding four during a two-state shooting spree last April.

Wicomico County State’s Attorney Davis Ruark said his office took the action so Allison Lamont Norman, 23, could be tried in Delaware, the Salisbury Daily Times reported.

Delaware Deputy Attorney General Jim Adkins said Mr. Norman, who has waived his extradition rights, could be returned to Delaware as early as today to face multiple charges, including first-degree murder.

The defendant from Seaford, Del., faced charges in Maryland that include first-degree murder in a series of shootings along the 13 miles from Laurel, Del., to Salisbury on April 7, 2005.

Mr. Norman was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a handgun when he was caught in Salisbury, police said.

Mr. Ruark told the Daily Times that the decision was made because of differences in laws regarding criminal responsibility in Maryland and Delaware.

“It was not an easy decision to make,” Mr. Ruark said.

He added that he had spoken with the families of the men who were killed and the victims who survived, including Carla Green, who was paralyzed in one of the shootings in Salisbury. They all agreed that this would be the best course of action to achieve justice, he said.

If Mr. Norman were to be found guilty but not criminally responsible in Maryland, he could be confined indefinitely in a state psychiatric facility, Mr. Ruark said. Or Mr. Norman could be released after several weeks before being returned to Delaware for trial.

The odds that Delaware would apply the death penalty against Mr. Norman also are greater, Mr. Ruark said.

Mr. Norman is accused of killing Jamell Weston, 24, in Delaware and DaVondale M. “Pete” Peters, 28, in Salisbury.In Salisbury, three persons were shot shortly after in locations near an elementary school. At one location, police said, Mr. Norman shot into a van but did not strike anyone. On another street, he shot into a vehicle, striking and injuring a woman, police said.

After firing into several homes and shooting two pit bulls in a yard, police said, Mr. Norman left with a third pit bull. He then accosted Mr. Peters. Witnesses told police that they saw the men arguing before Mr. Norman got out of the vehicle and shot Mr. Peters, who died at the scene.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide