- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 15, 2006


8 hurt, 4 arrested in Israeli army raid

NABLUS — Eight Palestinians were wounded and four arrested during an Israeli army incursion into a refugee camp in the northern West Bank yesterday, Palestinian witnesses and security sources said.

Soldiers surrounded several houses in the Askar refugee camp and bulldozers demolished one of the houses after telling its occupants to leave, the sources said.

Eight Palestinians were wounded, one gravely, after Israeli forces opened fire to disperse a crowd that had gathered during the incursion, hospital officials said. A woman in her 70s died of a heart attack during the incursion, medical sources said.


Briton freed early in murder of Dane

NICOSIA — One of three former British soldiers serving 25 years for the savage killing of a Danish tour guide in Cyprus has been freed from prison after serving less than half his sentence, sources close to the case told Agence France-Presse.

Two other convicted soldiers are to follow him in coming weeks. British and Cypriot authorities were keeping quiet after ex-soldier Alan Ford, 38, from Birmingham, left the vacation island last week under a veil of secrecy.

The three were sentenced in 1996 to life imprisonment for murdering Danish tour guide Louise Jensen, 23, in September 1994. The girl’s outraged parents, Poul and Anette Jensen, had urged the Cypriot government not to release them so early.


U.S., Israel warned against attack

TEHRAN — One of Iran’s top clerics warned yesterday that if Iran is attacked by the United States and Israel, it will retaliate with ballistic missile strikes against Tel Aviv.

“If they want to carry out an aggression against Iran, they should be afraid of the day that our 2,000-kilometer-range missile will hit the heart of Tel Aviv,” said Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami.

He was referring to Iran’s Shahab-3 missiles, which are capable of hitting targets 1,250 miles away.

Weekly notes …

Nobel Prize-winning writer Naguib Mahfouz, 94, has been moved to intensive care at a Cairo hospital, an official said yesterday, describing his condition as “unstable.” Mr. Mahfouz was transferred to the unit Monday night after a sudden drop in blood pressure and kidney failure, said an official at the Police Hospital in the Agouza district. … He was hospitalized July 19 after falling on a sidewalk and sustaining a deep head wound.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide