- The Washington Times - Friday, August 18, 2006

KENOSHA, Wis. (AP) — It might sound like a chocoholic’s dream, but stepping into a vat of bubbling chocolate became a two-hour nightmare for a 21-year-old man yesterday morning.

Donovan Garcia, an employee of a company that supplies chocolate ingredients, said he was pushing the chocolate down into the vat at Debelis Corp. because it was stuck, but it broke loose and he slid into the hopper.

“It was in my hair, in my ears, my mouth, everywhere,” said Mr. Garcia. “I felt like I weighed 900 pounds. I couldn’t move.”

The chocolate was 110 degrees, which is hotter than a hot tub, said Capt. Greg Sinnen of the Kenosha Fire Department.

Co-workers, police and firefighters tried to free the man but couldn’t get him loose until the chocolate was thinned out with cocoa butter.

“It was pretty thick. It was virtually like quicksand,” said police Capt. Randy Berner.

Mr. Garcia was treated for minor injuries at a nearby medical center and released.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide