- The Washington Times - Monday, August 21, 2006


Employee shot during robbery

Two men robbed a Georgetown jewelry store and shot an employee yesterday afternoon, D.C. police said.

The robbery happened about 2 p.m. at Georgetown Fine Jewelry and Art at 1265 Wisconsin Ave. NW.

During the robbery, a man working at the store was shot. He was hospitalized in critical condition.

The robbers are described by police as dark-complexioned black men thought to be in their mid-30s. One man was wearing a dark-colored sweatshirt and an orange turtleneck; the other was pulling a suitcase with wheels, with a duffel bag on top.

The men escaped in a white automobile in the 3100 block of N Street Northwest.

Police are asking anyone with information to call 202/727-9099.

College students urged to stay alert

D.C. police are making efforts to help the thousands of returning college students to take more responsibility for their safety, both on campus and in neighborhoods, as the citywide crime emergency continues.

The department’s community-outreach staff on campus safety has created a booklet for students and their parents.

The booklet suggests that students lock up their laptop computers, electronic devices, bicycles and other valuable belongings and tells students to protect themselves from such violent crimes as robbery and sexual assault.

Other recommendations include not wearing expensive clothing or jewelry, buying personal-alarm devices and enrolling in self-defense classes. The booklet also suggests that alcohol and drugs often play a role in campus crime.

The District is home to six large private universities — American, Catholic George Washington, Georgetown, Gallaudet and Howard.

Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey declared a crime emergency last month in response to several high-profile violent crimes in neighborhoods where such incidents have been rare. Increased enforcement efforts funded through the crime emergency will continue through October.

Police identify homicide victim

D.C. police identified the man found fatally shot in the 7800 block of 14th Street Northwest on Saturday afternoon as David Fuller, 24, of the 4800 block of Jay Street Northeast. He was found with a gunshot wound to the head behind the wheel of a Cadillac Escalade about 4 p.m., just seven blocks from Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Police are trying to identify witnesses and possible suspects in the case.



Two killed, four hurt in three-car crash

Two men were killed and four persons were injured in a three-car crash Saturday evening, state police said.

The accident happened about 5:15 p.m. on U.S. Route 15 near State Route 464.

Two men riding in a Ford Contour were pronounced dead at the scene. Police will not release their names until their families have been notified.

Police said three persons were flown to Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown. A fourth person was taken by ambulance to Frederick Memorial Hospital.

Police said the crash occurred when the driver of a Geo Prism tried to turn right from U.S. Route 15 onto State Route 464.

Police do not know whether speed or alcohol were factors.


Person dies falling from rocks

A person died yesterday after a fall from a rock formation at Rocks State Park in Harford County.

Sgt. Ken Turner, a Department of Natural Resources Police spokesman, said the person fell about 1 p.m. from the King and Queen Seat, a rock formation popular with climbers.

No information about the victim was released yesterday.


Standoff at house ends peacefully

A standoff between two robbery suspects and police ended with two arrests yesterday afternoon.

The two suspects — Devon Dixon, 19, and a 17-year-old male — ran into a residence in Columbia after a street robbery, police said.

The victim told police that he was approached by two men who implied that they had a weapon and demanded his cell phone.

Authorities surrounded a home and encouraged the suspects to come out peacefully, and when they did, they were arrested. The house was Mr. Dixon’s residence.

No one was injured.



Escaped inmate sought in slaying

Authorities in Blacksburg are searching for an escaped Montgomery County Jail inmate suspected of fatally shooting an unarmed security guard at the Montgomery Regional Hospital.

Police said William Charles Morva, 24, escaped from the hospital at about 2:30 a.m. yesterday after being taken to the emergency room by a sheriff’s deputy.

Police said Morva overpowered the deputy and took his pistol. Shots were fired, killing hospital security guard Derrick McFarland, 26, as he tried to help the deputy. The unnamed deputy remains in stable condition.

The Virginia State Police, Christiansburg police and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office joined the search on foot and in helicopters.

Morva was taken to the hospital in handcuffs and leg irons on the advice of the jail’s medical staff after he suffered a sprained wrist and leg. He was jailed awaiting trial on charges of trying to rob a Blacksburg deli. His trial was set for later this week.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide