- The Washington Times - Friday, August 4, 2006

AFGHANISTAN

4 Canadians killed; car bomb claims 21

KANDAHAR — Militant attacks killed four Canadian soldiers and wounded 10 yesterday while 21 Afghan civilians died from a suicide car bombing — the latest barrage of violence that has accompanied NATO’s new security mission in southern Afghanistan.

The soldiers died in two bombings. Seven NATO soldiers have been killed since the alliance took over command Sunday in southern Afghanistan from a U.S.-led coalition.

It was Canada’s worst loss since April 22, when four of its soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb, also in the south.

Separately, a suicide car bomber set off a mammoth explosion in a crowded market in Panjwayi, a town about 15 miles from Kandahar, killing 21 civilians and wounding 13.

SRI LANKA

18 die as shells hit 3 school shelters

COLOMBO — Artillery fire hit three schools being used as shelters from fighting raging yesterday between government troops and Tamil Tiger rebels, killing 18 persons in a northeastern town, the military said.

A military spokesman blamed the rebels for the artillery attacks on the schools in the coastal town of Muttur. The pro-rebel TamilNet Web site blamed government forces for at least one school attack, where 10 persons died. The rebels made no statements about the other two schools.

IRAN

Tehran favors talks on nukes

PUTRAJAYA, Malaysia — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad expressed optimism yesterday that the dispute over his country’s nuclear program can be resolved through talks, despite mounting impatience with his rejection of U.N. Security Council demands to suspend uranium enrichment.

Underlining the international concern, one of Iran’s leading trade partners, Russia, issued a statement telling the Tehran regime it must respect the council’s Aug. 31 deadline to stop enrichment.

The Security Council passed a resolution Monday calling for Iran to suspend uranium enrichment by Aug. 31 or be threatened with economic and diplomatic sanctions.

AUSTRIA

Renowned soprano Schwarzkopf dead

VIENNA — Famed soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, a 20th-century legend who won global acclaim for her renditions of Mozart and Strauss, died yesterday at her home in western Austria, state television reported. She was 90.

Mrs. Schwarzkopf, who ranked alongside Maria Callas as a giant of the opera and concert stage, died about 1:15 a.m. in the town of Schruns in Austria’s westernmost province of Vorarlberg, where she lived, state broadcaster ORF said. No cause of death was given.

Mrs. Schwarzkopf — an aunt of U.S. Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, who led American forces in the 1991 Persian Gulf War — retired in 1975 after many years living outside Zurich. She later admitted having applied to join the Nazi Party in 1939 but said it was “akin to joining a union” so that she could further her singing career.

SAUDI ARABIA

Kingdom allows public photography

RIYADH — Saudi Arabia has lifted a ban on photography in public areas, part of a drive by the conservative kingdom’s tourism organization to attract more visitors to the birthplace of Islam.

A royal decree allowing photography in many public places was issued about a year ago, and the interior ministry enacted it earlier this week.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide