- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was fined but not suspended by the NFL last night for pleading guilty to two misdemeanors 14 months ago in Miami.

The NFL fined Taylor four game checks, but he has the opportunity to earn back a portion of that $71,764 total if, according to a league spokesman, “he’s not involved in any new problems.”

That source couldn’t specify how long Taylor has to stay out of trouble.

Taylor, 23, declined to comment, but the Redskins were happy their standout safety won’t miss any games.

“That’s a big cloud being washed away … really fantastic news,” defensive tackle Joe Salave’a said.

Said coach Joe Gibbs: “I’m glad it’s behind us. I’m certainly glad Sean’s going to be with us all year. He’s had a great camp so far.”

Taylor’s recent troubles began on June 1, 2005, in Miami, where the former Hurricanes All-American was accused of pointing a firearm at three men Taylor said stole two of his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor was charged with three felony counts of assault, each of which could have put him in prison for a minimum of three years and a maximum of 15. Taylor also faced a year in prison on a simple battery misdemeanor.

Taylor constantly has been embroiled in controversy on and off the field since the Redskins made him the fifth pick in the 2004 draft.

He fired two sets of agents, then re-hired the first. He was fined $25,000 for leaving the NFL’s mandatory rookie symposium a day early, $17,000 for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay’s Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January and lesser amounts for late hits and uniform violations.

Taylor also was arrested Oct. 28, 2004, on a DUI charge that was later dropped.

He refused to participate in Washington’s offseason program last spring. Taylor opted to remain in Miami and became involved in the criminal incident.

cStaff writer Ryan O’Halloran contributed to this article.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide