- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 13, 2006

BALTIMORE — Wounded state Trooper Eric D. Workman was sitting up and answering questions from family members yesterday, a day after he was shot during a raid, the trooper’s father said.

“He looks good, his color is good. They say he’s well ahead of what they expected,” said Trooper Workman’s father, Gary D. Workman, a former Secret Service agent.

Mr. Workman spoke with reporters outside the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where his son is recuperating.

He said Trooper Workman can answer “yes and no, but it’s difficult for him to talk because there are a lot of tubes.”

The shooting is the second major hospitalization for the state trooper in the past eight years; in 1998, he was hit by a vehicle during a traffic detail in Prince George’s County and severely injured. Despite the two incidents, Mr. Workman said, his son always wanted to be a police officer and he would support the trooper if he wanted to return to duty.

“It’s just something he always wanted to do and I support him. If he’s physically able after this, he should go back,” Mr. Workman said.

Trooper Workman, who lives in Catonsville, spent time at his father’s place in West Virginia during his last recuperation, fishing at times at a lake on the property, and his father said he expected to see him there again.

Asked whether family members had talked about the two incidents and his ability to recover, Mr. Workman said his son is tough, but “we don’t want to test those nine lives, we definitely don’t. This is enough, but I’ll support him if he goes back.”

Trooper Workman, who was wearing a ballistic vest, was shot after he and other officers entered a home seeking a suspect in a home invasion. State police said Steven T. Jones, 38, appeared at the top of a stairway and opened fire before he was killed by return fire.

Trooper Workman was hit in the left armpit, and the bullet traveled through his left chest and into his abdomen, damaging his left kidney, left lung and the left side of his spleen, hospital officials said.

Jones’ father said his son had been living at his Woodlawn, Md., home since his release from prison in August.

Michael Rock told the Baltimore Sun that he answered his door early Tuesday and let in about six police officers, who walked upstairs toward his son’s room. Gunfire quickly erupted, leaving his son dead.

“Upstairs sounded like a war in Vietnam,” Mr. Rock said.

The gunbattle left six bullet holes at the top of a staircase, two more nearby and a blood-soaked carpet.

Police said officers were trying to arrest a man who had fled an Eldersburg home last Thursday after a home invasion.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide