- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 19, 2006


NAACP plans move of headquarters

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is expected to finalize a deal in the next several days to move its headquarters from Baltimore to the District, D.C. officials said yesterday.

Terms of the deal, which are being negotiated, call for the city to contribute a $3.5 million grant to assist the civil rights organization with acquiring property along a historic stretch of Martin Luther King Avenue in Southeast. The NAACP and Mayor Anthony A. Williams are focusing on a site as part of the Anacostia Gateway Project, a development that could bring more than 150 jobs to the area almost overnight.

“There is no more appro-priate place for the NAACP headquarters than Washington, D.C.,” Mr. Williams said. “I am eager to help NAACP officials accomplish this move, and I look forward to working with them as they make our city their home.”

City officials have been negotiating with NAACP leaders and searching for a location for more than a year.

The D.C. Council would have to approve funding for the NAACP deal, said Sharon Gang, a spokeswoman for the mayor. The council was expected to consider the proposal at its meeting today.


Metro freezes hiring during spending review

Metro announced a hiring freeze yesterday for all positions not related to operations and transit police, four days after board members vowed to do everything possible to avoid a fare increase.

The transit agency also said it plans to bring in a consultant to analyze the current organizational structure in an effort to streamline the 10,000-employee operation.

In addition, Metro said it would also review all consulting contracts of more than $100,000 that are not related to providing service.

On Thursday, Metro manage-ment presented a draft budget to the board’s budget committee that includes fare increases of as much as $2.10 for certain trips. Board members said they did not want to rush into a fare increase and pledged to look for ways to trim fat from the agency’s budget as it seeks to plug a $116 million shortfall.



Man gets five years for planned bombing

A man who planned to bomb an abortion clinic was sentenced yesterday to five years in prison.

Robert Weiler Jr., 26, of Forestville, also was sentenced to three years of supervised release for possessing a pipe bomb, being a felon with a firearm and attempting to destroy or damage an abortion clinic, federal prosecutors said. He pleaded guilty to the federal charges in October.

Police arrested Weiler at a Western Maryland highway rest stop June 7 after he called a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent to admit that he had made a pipe bomb and had stashed it in a closet at a friend’s Riverdale house. A .40-caliber handgun he had stolen from a friend was found in the glove compartment of his car.

He told investigators he planned to use the explosives at an abortion clinic in Greenbelt and would use the gun to shoot doctors. Investigators learned of Weiler’s plot after interviewing his friends.

The bomb, however, went off early the next morning, setting the house on fire as bomb technicians tried to defuse it. No one was injured.


Fire damages building on Main Street

An early-morning fire caused heavy damage to a three-story building on Main Street yesterday.

The two-alarm fire on the second floor of the Chesapeake Trading Co. was reported at 2:42 a.m. and was brought under control in about 20 minutes, Annapolis Fire Department spokesman Capt. Ed Hadaway said.

The fire caused heavy damage to the second floor, some damage to the third floor and water damage to the first floor. Its cause is under investigation.

No one was injured.

The fire was in the same block where a five-alarm fire swept through three buildings 13 months ago.


Ex-officer indicted on porn charges

A former U.S. Capitol Police officer was indicted yesterday on charges of producing and possessing child pornography.

Michael Malloy, 35, of Bryans Road, is charged with sexually exploiting a minor to produce child pornography and possessing child pornography, federal prosecutors said.

Mr. Malloy enticed a girl to have graphic sexual intercourse so it could be photographed, prosecutors said. The indict-ment also says Mr. Malloy had a videotape of child pornography.


Man kills himself after standoff

Baltimore police yesterday released the name of a man who shot and killed himself after a six-hour standoff with police Saturday night.

Police said Howard Dukes, 29, had gone to his estranged wife’s home in the 2500 block of Arunah Avenue for a scheduled visit with his two children. When she told him their marriage was over, police said he held the woman and children hostage with a shotgun.

Police were unable to persuade Mr. Dukes to surrender, and he shot himself in the head.


Dead infant found in packing plant

The body of an infant was found at a Somerset County business, but authorities are saying little about the discovery.

The body was found early Sunday morning at the Custom Pak tomato-packing plant on Route 413.

Investigators haven’t said where in the plant the body was found or by whom.

Business officials at Custom Pak say the plant had to be closed for the police investigation.



10 officers have died in line of duty in ‘06

Ten Virginia police officers have died in the line of duty this year, second only to California, officials said.

The men and women died either by gunfire or in traffic accidents. Another suffered a heart attack during a training exercise, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page, a nonprofit organization dedi-cated to honoring America’s fallen law-enforcement officers.

Among those killed were two Fairfax County officers who were shot when a teen gunman in a stolen van ambushed a police station in Chantilly on May 8.

Detective Vicky Armel, 40, and Master Police Officer Michael Garbarino, 53, were shot in the parking lot of the Sully District police station. Michael Kennedy, 18, fired 70 bullets from an AK-47 rifle and five handguns before three other officers fatally shot him.

They were the first officers to die in the line of duty in the department’s 66-year history.

“It’s been a tragic year, but what we’ve experienced this year could happen to any state, given the nature of the job,” said John W. Marshall, Virginia’s secretary of public safety. “I can’t put any reason on it except that law-enforcement officers have dangerous jobs, and danger is something officers are exposed to every day.”

Across the nation, 137 police officers have been killed so far this year, compared with 156 last year, according to the organization. In 2005, Virginia ranked in the middle with seven deaths, while California topped the list with 18.

“It’s been a very difficult and tragic year for our members,” said Corinne Geller, spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police. “We began and ended the year with an officer being killed in the line of duty.”

Virginia State Trooper Kevin Manion died in February while helping another trooper with an accident in Clarke County. A rifle inside an overturned pickup truck discharged as the truck was being moved, striking Trooper Manion in the chest.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide