- The Washington Times - Sunday, December 3, 2006


Second Metro worker in accident identified

The second Metro employee critically injured in an accident last week has been identified as Matthew Brooks, 36. His family released a statement yesterday saying he is “fighting hard to recover from the injuries he sustained.” Mr. Brooks and another track worker were struck by a Metro train Thursday near the Eisenhower Avenue station.

Leslie A. Cherry Jr., 52, died of his injuries. It was the 14th on-the-job death in Metro’s 30-year history and the third in a little more than a year. Metro officials have said Mr. Brooks began working for the transit system in April. The cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Protesters arrested outside White House

Twenty-two persons demonstrating as part of World AIDS Day were arrested Friday on the sidewalk in front of the White House.

The protesters crossed from Lafayette Square onto the Pennsylvania Avenue sidewalk as they called for greater funding of AIDS treatment and prevention. As few hundred others chanted their support, U.S. Park Police issued three warnings before taking them into custody. Those who refused to move from the sidewalk outside the White House were charged with demonstrating without a permit. Park Police spokesman Sgt. Scott Fear said the protesters violated their permit to demonstrate when they moved onto the sidewalk.



Video confession OK in MySpace trial

A Baltimore County judge has ruled that prosecutors can present at trial the statements a former University of Maryland at Baltimore County student made to police while confessing to beating a woman to death.

John Gaumer is accused of killing Josie Brown, 27, of Baltimore, while they were on a date. They met on MySpace.com.

Mr. Gaumer’s lawyers wanted the statements to be considered involuntary, in part because they were obtained during the “lengthy” period he was detained between Feb. 7 and Feb. 8 before being charged.

Baltimore County Circuit Judge Mickey Norman heard from detectives, listened to Mr. Gaumer’s recorded statement and watched an interview with police before ruling the delay was necessary and reasonable. Mr. Gaumer is scheduled to go to trial in January. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.


Hunter kills record deer

A Charles County hunter has unofficially broken the Maryland record for killing the deer with the largest antlers, according to the state’s Department of Natural Resources.

Bill Crutchfield Jr. killed the 26-point white-tailed deer near his home in Newburg. The deer had a preliminary antler score of 2685/8 inches. A state official said the score cannot be confirmed until after a 60-day drying period.

He says the deer is considered a nontypical buck because the antlers are irregular in shape.

If confirmed, the antler score would eclipse the Maryland nontypical record by 40 inches. The spokesman also said it would be the highest-scoring nontypical buck taken on the East Coast and among the top 20 nontypical deer in the world.



Injured convict to get $335,000

The city has agreed to pay $335,000 to settle a federal lawsuit brought by a man who lost an eye because of injuries he received during his 2003 arrest after selling heroin to an undercover police officer.

Thomas James Frazier, 37, said an officer struck him in the face while he was handcuffed, injuring his eye so badly that it had to be surgically removed. He also reported police used excessive force and the department failed to investigate the incident.

A city attorney thinks the amount is the highest settlement Norfolk has paid in an excessive-force complaint. The city agreed to a $200,000 settlement with the family of a motorist who died during a traffic stop in 2000.

In the Frazier case, the city and the officers named admitted no wrongdoing as part of the settlement. Officers denied striking Frazier’s eye, according to court papers.

After legal costs and expenses, and his hospital bills — the amount of which is in dispute — Frazier will collect at least $160,829, according to the settlement. The attorney declined to say whether officers were disciplined, saying it was a personnel matter.

Frazier was sentenced to more than four years in prison after pleading guilty to heroin distribution.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide