- The Washington Times - Saturday, December 9, 2006

Missing hunter found trapped under vehicle

UNION, S.C. — A hunter was found alive Friday after he spent more than two days in the woods pinned under an all-terrain vehicle.

Don Phillips, 62, was in serious condition Friday at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, according to the hospital. He had hypothermia and possible injuries to his chest and abdomen, authorities said.

Mr. Phillips had gone hunting Tuesday. He said he had shot a deer, but it ran away. While trying to follow the deer on his four-wheeler, he drove into a tree and the vehicle overturned, pinning him, he said.

Friends and relatives became concerned when he did not return home by Thursday night. Rescuers followed tire tracks left by his vehicle in the woods and found him about 1 a.m. Friday.

Grease fire kills two in apartment

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Investigators combed through an apartment complex early yesterday, trying to determine what caused a fire that killed two persons and injured 18 others.

“Nothing will be confirmed for a few days, though there are clues leading them to believe that it might have been an accidental grease fire that spread into the ventilation units,” Fire Department Capt. Jim Arvizu said.

Capt. Arvizu said there were two confirmed fatalities, both residents of the building who were found inside the four-story Paradise Garden Apartments.

Weapons found in traffic stop

AUBURN, Wash. — State troopers confiscated rifles, ammunition and gunpowder from a wanted felon whose car was pulled over Friday on a highway near a suburban shopping mall.

The 45-year-old man was pulled over near the SuperMall of the Great Northwest for a license plate violation and arrested on three felony warrants, patrol spokesman Jeff Merrill said.

Troopers discovered two rifles, two shotguns, gunpowder, about a dozen swords and knives, several loaded AR-15 or M-16 magazines for automatic or semiautomatic weapons and some crystal methamphetamine, Mr. Merrill said.

Some of the outstanding warrants against the man, whose name was not released, were for drug violations, he said.

Woman changes name to honor slain fiance

NEW YORK — She lost her fiance in a hail of police gunfire on their wedding day, but a court has ruled that Nicole Paultre can still have his name.

A civil court judge approved an application to legally change her name to Nicole Paultre Bell, in memory of the victim of the Nov. 25 shooting, Sean Bell, her lawyer said Friday.

The name change will become official this week, said the attorney, Sanford Rubenstein.

Police killed Mr. Bell and wounded two of his friends inside their car after his bachelor party at a Queens strip club where officers were conducting an undercover operation.

The name change was first reported on Essence magazine’s Web site.

Transit officials drop ban on face coverings

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Public transit officials have apologized to a woman wearing an Islamic facial veil who was turned away from a bus and Friday rescinded a rule banning people with face coverings.

The ban was aimed at riders wearing Halloween or ski masks and officials had not considered religious dress, Rapid bus system spokeswoman Jennifer Kalczuk said. The rule was issued earlier this year so that an on-board camera system could help identify riders if there is a disturbance.

A bus driver told the woman in July that she would have to uncover her face to board the bus, officials said. She had ridden other Rapid buses previously and was able to board another bus the same day.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide