- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 21, 2006

TomKat update

Tom Cruise is considering a lawsuit against Life & Style magazine for claiming the actor had ended his high-profile relationship with actress Katie Holmes, according to his lawyer Bert Fields.

Contactmusic.com reports that Mr. Cruise, 43, was infuriated by the magazine’s cover story, which claimed he had ended his engagement to Miss Holmes, 26, and that the couple were maintaining the pretense of togetherness to generate good publicity.

“This is a disgusting and malicious story,” Mr. Fields says. “It is unequivocally false, and I have already demanded a retraction. I will be sitting down with Tom in the next couple of days to discuss this story, and ultimately it’s his call as to whether we bring a lawsuit. But if it was up to me, I would sue.”

Duets for dollars

Celine Dion and Elton John sang together for the first time at a benefit to raise money for Harrah’s Entertainment Inc. workers affected by last year’s hurricanes.

The pair, who sang duets of “Sorry” and “Saturday Night” before a packed Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas on Monday night, also were joined by Jerry Seinfeld to raise $2.1 million for some 8,000 casino workers in the Gulf Coast region, Associated Press reports. Some 4,100 people paid $100 to $1,000 each to watch the trio take turns on the stage.

The money came on top of $4.5 million the world’s largest casino operator already had collected for its staff, says Harrah’s chief executive Gary Loveman.

“I’ve played in Biloxi (Miss.) many times,” Mr. John said. “I’m just glad we can do a little something for those people’s lives that will never be the same again for many, many years. God bless them.”

Rolling on

Rolling Stones fans sporting the band’s trademark wagging-tongue logo on everything from T-shirts to tattooed body parts cheered outside a hotel before the rockers arrived for their upcoming Buenos Aires concerts.

Band members began arriving Sunday after their free concert on Rio de Janeiro’s Copacabana Beach Saturday night, which drew more than 1 million spectators.

During the show, Mick Jagger, who has a 6-year-old Brazilian son, ad-libbed comments in Portuguese, delighting the crowd. At one point, he wore a white shirt with the Brazilian flag and the words “Brasil” and “Rio de Janeiro.”

Guitarist Keith Richards was among the first of the band members to arrive in Buenos Aires, along with drummer Charlie Watts. Save brief sightings on a bus and a few fleeting appearances by Mr. Richards at a hotel window, the Stones stayed mostly out of public view as they rested for last night’s performance and a concert scheduled for Thursday.

Rapper’s delight

Thug-turned-rap-star 50 Cent and his protege-turned-nemesis, the Game, are feuding over the affections of R&B; vixen and District native Mya, the New York Post reports. In “Not Rich, Still Lying,” Fitty’s latest track targeting the Game, he says he was “with” Mya — a 1996 graduate of Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt who appeared in the Oscar-winning film “Chicago” — before the Game was. Previously, the Game rapped about wanting to date Mya in his video for “Dreams,” in which she also appeared, the New York Post reports.

However, an unnamed friend of Mya’s told the newspaper that she hasn’t hooked up with either rapper.

The two are not the only ones who find her alluring: Ford Models just signed Mya to a six-figure deal, the newspaper reports.

In the money

Gerard Depardieu was France’s best-paid actor for 2005 despite the fact that three of his four films were flops, according to a listing in Le Figaro newspaper.

Mr. Depardieu, 57, earned $3.82 million, ahead of Jean Reno ‘s $2.7 million and Christian Clavier’s $2.2 million.

The highest-paid French actress was Josiane Balasko, who took seventh place with $1.19 million.

Last year’s winner — Gerard Jugnot of the international hit “The Choir” — refused to reveal his earnings, but Le Figaro estimated he would have been in fifth place behind Jean Dujardin, the star of 2005’s biggest-selling locally produced film, “Brice de Nice.”

The star of more than 100 films since the early 1970s, Mr. Depardieu recently said he intends to reduce his acting schedule in order to devote more time to his winegrowing and restaurant businesses.

Compiled by Robyn-Denise Yourse from Web and wire reports.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide