- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 23, 2006


Off-duty officer kills man on NE street

An off-duty D.C. police officer fatally shot a man on a Northeast street yesterday afternoon, police said.

Officials said the officer from the 2nd District was in his personal car and not in uniform when he got out and approached a man suspected of stealing tools outside the Holy Name Elementary School at West Virginia Avenue and Neal Street Northeast at about 3 p.m. At some point during the confrontation, the officer’s weapon went off, and the suspect was struck in the chest, police said.

The man was taken to a hospital, where he died.

The school was locked down while parents raced to collect their children. None of the students was hurt, and they eventually were allowed out through a back door.

Federal grant to help with substance abuse

The District will receive a $1.2 million federal grant to help provide young people with substance-abuse treatment.

Mayor Anthony A. Williams said yesterday that the city, along with 15 states, is getting the award over three years from the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Linda Fisher, the chief of the city’s Office of Prevention and Youth Services, said the money will be used for better training of staffers and improving coordination among other city agencies.

The mayor spoke at the youth services office in Southeast, where he also announced that the District will hold its first town hall meeting on underage drinking March 28.

Mr. Williams said about one in four high school students in the city describe themselves as current drinkers and have reported riding with a driver who had been drinking.



Man, 72, gets 17 years for selling heroin

At 72, William Turner is beginning a prison sentence that could keep him behind bars until he is almost 90.

A judge in U.S. District Court sentenced Turner to more than 17 years for selling heroin. Prosecutors said that for more than seven years, the Silver Spring man and his friends would get heroin from different sources, then relay it to distributors in the District, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Investigators got their break in 2004 when they raided a store in New York and found a ledger detailing the drug transactions made by Turner and the others.

Turner and two associates pleaded guilty. The other two face up to life in prison when they are sentenced this summer.


Burned body found on roadside

A badly burned body was found yesterday morning on the side of a road.

An autopsy determined that the death was a homicide.

The victim suffered trauma to the body, but police did not state the exact cause of death because the investigation is in the early stages.

Police have not identified the victim but said he was a white male in his teens to late 20s with light hair and a mustache. He was about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and weighed about 155 pounds. He had a tattoo of an arrow and tomahawk passing through a cattle skull on his upper right arm.

The body was found shortly after 3 a.m. by an officer on patrol in the 300 block of Old Mill Road.

The officer noticed something burning, extinguished the flames and realized the object was a body.


Student stabbed outside high school

A 10th-grader was stabbed yesterday afternoon outside W.E.B. DuBois Senior High School, police said.

Chief Antonio Williams said the 16-year-old was stabbed in the chest while trying to get on a school bus. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was in critical condition.

Police took a 15-year-old ninth-grader in custody, but they have not found a weapon, Chief Williams said.

Chief Williams said police did not know what prompted the stabbing.



Mall employee returns $600 found in trash

A mall employee who found a wad of cash reunited the money with its rightful owner, an Iranian immigrant who plans to reward her with a home-cooked meal.

Christine Fleckles, a longtime employee of the Belk department store, said she was minding her own business a few weeks ago when she discovered $600 in a handful of trash. She conceded that she thought for a second to keep the money but reconsidered, knowing how she would feel if she was the one who had lost it.

Miss Fleckles saw a paycheck stub near the money, so she tracked down Mozh Deh and returned the $600. Miss Deh couldn’t believe someone would be so honest — and offered Miss Fleckles a $50 reward, which she grudgingly accepted.

Miss Deh also has offered to cook Miss Fleckles dinner — an offer the mall employee said she is excited about.

Miss Deh says the experience shows why she has loved America since emigrating from Iran about three years ago.


2-year-old drowns in backyard pool

A 2-year-old girl drowned in a backyard pool yesterday, police said.

The drowning was reported shortly before 2:30 p.m., said Bud Walker, a Fairfax County police spokesman. The child was found in an enclosed, outdoor pool. She died at a hospital.

The girl had been dropped off earlier in the day to visit a relative, police said.

Police were investigating the circumstances of the drowning, including how the child got in the pool and whether any adults were home.


Rifle that killed trooper was stolen

A rifle that accidentally killed a Virginia State Police trooper over the weekend had been stolen, investigators said.

Trooper Kevin C. Manion died Saturday when a 30.06-caliber rifle inside a pickup truck that had overturned discharged while the truck was being moved, the Clarke County Sheriff’s Office said. The rifle had been reported stolen earlier in the day from a Clarke County residence.

Police said the truck’s driver, David Ellis Ferrebee, 58, of Charles Town, W.Va., was charged with stealing the rifle and with burglary.

His passenger, Belinda Brown, 38, of Summit Point, W.Va., was charged with being drunk in public.

Trooper Manion was wearing a bulletproof vest, but the bullet struck him at an angle through an arm opening, said Corinne Geller, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police.

The wreck occurred just after noon Saturday, when the truck ran off the road on state Route 649, east of Winchester, police said.

Hours earlier, Clarke sheriff’s deputies had begun investigating a break-in and robbery at a home in the western part of the county. One of the items stolen was a 30.06 rifle, the sheriff’s office said.

A funeral service for Trooper Manion was held yesterday in Clifton Forge.


Circus abandonselephant parade

A parade of elephants and other animals has long signaled the arrival of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus in town.

But Tuesday afternoon, after the circus cars arrived at the Norfolk Southern rail yards, handlers loaded the animals into trucks that carried them downtown, where the circus opened at the Scope arena yesterday.

Trucks slipped out and past roughly 25 PETA protesters who waited outside Norfolk Southern’s gate Tuesday evening.

A circus spokeswoman cited unspecified reasons for not walking the animals, including concern about the route.

She insisted that the decision had nothing to do with coming to the back yard of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, based in Norfolk, which traditionally greets the circus with demonstrations.

“We may very well do the animal walk again next year,” the spokeswoman said.

“This certainly doesn’t signal the end of the animal walk in Norfolk.”

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide