- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 7, 2006

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Darryl Travis walked out of the lobby of the Crowne Plaza with everything he owned in a plastic garbage bag, joining other Hurricane Katrina refugees evicted from their hotel rooms across the country yesterday.

More than 4,500 refugees were expected to check out of their government-paid hotel rooms yesterday as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) began cutting off money to pay for their lodging.

Many more people — a total of more than 20,000 storm victims — were given extensions by FEMA until at least next week and possibly as long as March 1, FEMA spokesman Butch Kinerney said.

FEMA said it gave people every possible opportunity to request an extension.

“We’ve bent over backward to reach out. We’ve gone door-to-door to all of the 25,000 hotel rooms no fewer than six times. And there are individuals who have refused to come to the door, refused to answer. There are people who have run when they saw us coming — those are the ones that are now moving on,” Mr. Kinerney said.

While some of the refugees leaving the Crowne Plaza said they had found other housing, several said they were now homeless.

Mr. Travis, 24, and five childhood friends — all in their 20s — had been living on the floor of another refugee’s hotel room, never having registered.

“All I got is a couple pairs of pants and some shirts. The pressure is on,” said Jonathan Gautier, 26, one of the six, who also was carrying a single plastic bag filled with clothes.

Wheeling out her boxes of belongings, 20-year-old Katie Kinkella and her sister, Jennifer, were heading back to their ruined house in heavily flooded St. Bernard Parish. The sisters had stayed first at the Marriott and later at the Crowne Plaza as they waited for FEMA to deliver a trailer. Then they waited for FEMA to hook up the electricity at the trailer.

“They just connected it yesterday,” Miss Kinkella said as she loaded bags, boxes and suitcases into the back of a pickup on the curb outside the hotel.

In Houston, where 4,000 refugees were staying in hotels, about 80 percent had received permission to extend their stays until at least next Monday. The remaining 20 percent either failed to contact FEMA or made other housing arrangements, said Frank Michel, a spokesman for Mayor Bill White.

“People need to begin to take responsibility for themselves,” Mr. Michel said.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco complained that FEMA was pulling the plug on the hotel program before securing other housing.

Outside the Crowne Plaza, protesters held up signs that said: “No trailers. No eviction.”

Brittany Brown, 21, wept as she explained that although she had been given an extension, eviction was now looming next week. She applied for a trailer in October and, although she keeps calling, her trailer has yet to show up.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide