- The Washington Times - Sunday, January 15, 2006

ATLANTA — When Washington Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said before last night’s game that he didn’t want his team to forget the past, he was talking about a pair of games in November, when the Wizards won at Detroit only to fall at lowly Charlotte the next day.

He mentioned that because he didn’t want his team, one day removed from a victory at Indiana, to sleepwalk its way to a loss at Atlanta.

Jordan got his wish — and Brendan Haywood and Antawn Jamison got theirs by returning to the starting lineup — as the Wizards awoke in time to down the Hawks 114-106 in overtime at Philips Arena.

“Coach mentioned it to us but we knew this wasn’t going to be a blowout,” said Gilbert Arenas, who scored seven of his game-high 33 points in overtime.

Atlanta (9-26), which lost 103-72 at Washington on Wednesday night, had regrouped to come within 105-94 at New York on Friday night.

When the Hawks visited MCI Center, Haywood and Jamison were benched in favor of Michael Ruffin and Calvin Booth. Washington (16-19) won two games with that lineup and extended its winning streak to three games last night as Jordan reverted to his former lineup.

Jamison finished with 23 points, six rebounds and four assists. Caron Butler also had 23 points, and Antonio Daniels added a season-high 18 points and was 9-for-10 from the free throw line. Haywood had 10 points and four rebounds.

Jamison’s biggest moment of the night came when he answered Atlanta rookie Salim Stoudamire’s 3-pointer with 31.6 seconds to play with a runner with 18.0 left that set up overtime.

The Wizards dominated the extra period, taking the lead for good at 106-104 when Arenas exploded through the Hawks’ defense for a three-point play with 1:11 remaining.

Atlanta committed 23 turnovers last night and 47 in its two games against Washington this season.

“I thought there were a few key plays,” Atlanta coach Mike Woodson said. “We just have so much to overcome.”

Joe Johnson led Atlanta with 23 points before a quiet crowd of 13,992. The atmosphere was far different from Friday night at Conseco Fieldhouse, where the Wizards beat Indiana 94-85.

Last night with just more than a minute remaining in regulation, Butler made two free throws to give the Wizards a 97-94 lead. Atlanta’s Al Harrington followed with two free throws, and the Hawks got the ball back down 97-96 after Arenas was called for traveling with 48.9 seconds to play.

When play resumed following a timeout, Stoudamire, who scored 17 of his 21 points after the first half, drilled a 3-pointer over a charging Arenas.

The Wizards then failed to convert once but got the ball back with 23.8 seconds remaining when the Hawks’ Marvin Williams was ruled out of bounds when he grabbed a rebound of a Butler miss. That allowed Jamison to tie the game at 99-99 with a running layup.

When play resumed, Atlanta’s Johnson got in close and got off a shot under pressure from Jamison and Jared Jeffries. The shot, along the baseline, rolled over the top of the backboard and the Wizards called timeout with 2.3 seconds left in regulation.

The Wizards’ last attempt in regulation was an awkward shot by Jamison that rattled off the rim.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide