- The Washington Times - Friday, January 6, 2006

TOKYO — A U.S. sailor being held by the American military in the killing of a Japanese woman has confessed to the crime, police said yesterday. A press report said an arrest warrant will be sought as early as today.

The 21-year-old sailor, who was not identified, was being held at the base in Yokosuka pending the investigation into the killing, U.S. Naval Forces Japan said in a statement, which called the sailor “a potential suspect.”

Yoshie Sato, 56, was found beaten and unconscious in Yokosuka on Tuesday and later died of internal bleeding. Police think she was attacked during a robbery on her way to work, according to press reports.

The man admitted the killing to police, according to Tsuneo Kosuge, a spokesman for Kanagawa Prefectural Police.

Citing police, Kyodo News agency reported that they will seek an arrest warrant for the suspect, possibly today, and will ask the U.S. military to hand him over.

Mr. Kosuge could not confirm the report.

The case risked further inflaming local opposition to plans to build an American military airstrip in the southern island of Okinawa and base a U.S. nuclear-powered warship at Yokosuka, 30 miles southwest of Tokyo.

The sailor was based on the aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk and has been in Japan since May 2004. He has been in the Navy for about two years and Japan was his first assignment, the Navy said.

Police officials said earlier that a request by Japanese interrogators to question the sailor had been approved by U.S. authorities and police had questioned the sailor at the Navy base yesterday.

Under a U.S.-Japan agreement, the Navy would have to hand over the sailor if Japanese authorities requested it.

The U.S. Navy said it was cooperating closely with police and had imposed a temporary curfew requiring Navy personnel to be back on base by midnight for the weekend.

“The entire Navy community in Japan is deeply saddened by this incident and will immediately implement a period of reflection to collectively demonstrate sympathy for the tragic loss of life,” the Navy statement said.

Reflecting the sensitivity of the case, U.S. Ambassador Thomas Schieffer issued a statement yesterday saying, “The U.S. military and the American people are deeply shocked and saddened by this event.”

Japanese Defense Agency chief Fukushiro Nukaga told reporters both Japan and the United States had to work harder to stop such crimes.

In 1995, an uproar over the rape of a 12-year-old girl by three U.S. servicemen on Japan’s southern island of Okinawa triggered mass protests and led to the relocation of an air base to a less densely populated part of the prefecture.

The rape case also resulted in an agreement with the U.S. military that it would hand over American suspects in serious crimes to Japanese authorities for pre-indictment investigation.

About 50,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Japan under a joint security pact, but Tokyo and Washington agreed in October to move 7,000 Marines from Okinawa to the U.S. territory of Guam, and shift within Japan some of the remaining troops.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide