- The Washington Times - Monday, July 24, 2006

Change of heart

After earlier stints on “Baywatch” and the daytime drama “The Young and the Restless,” David “the Hoff” Hasselhoff saw his star rise again as a judge on “America’s Got Talent,” the NBC hit produced by his pal Simon Cowell.

Still, he says he might not return for another season.

“I don’t know,” Mr. Hasselhoff tells Newsweek magazine in its July 31 issue. “This is not my cup of tea. I signed on for one season, and Simon Cowell conned me into it. I’m trying to get on a sitcom or maybe even my own show, ‘Travels With the Hoff.’”

According to Associated Press, the Baltimore-born actor, 54 — who played lifeguard Mitch Buchannon on “Baywatch” for 11 year — is also writing his memoirs.

He also was the subject of a London snafu. Earlier this month, there were press reports that an intoxicated Hasselhoff had to be removed from the All England Club, which presents the Wimbledon tennis championships.

“The tabloids make so much stuff up,” he says. “I was at Wimbledon, and they said I was escorted out drunk. … Absolutely not. I don’t drink anymore.”

Batten down the Hatch

Richard Hatch has been sent to a federal prison in Oklahoma as he serves a 51-month sentence for failing to pay taxes on the $1 million he won on the debut season of CBS’ “Survivor” in 2000.

Hatch, 45, of Newport, R.I., arrived last week at the Federal Transfer Center in Oklahoma City. It wasn’t immediately clear why he was moved or whether he will serve out his prison sentence at the facility, which is a hub for prisoners transferring through the federal system.

He previously had been held at the Plymouth County Correctional Facility in Massachusetts, AP reports. During “Survivor,” he became known as the “fat naked guy” for refusing to wear clothes.

Sundance goes green

Sundance Channel Green, a weekly prime-time programming block focusing on environmental topics, will bow on the cable channel in early 2007, Sundance founder Robert Redford announced late last week.

The block will consist of three hours of hosted programming, which will include original series and documentary premieres “about the earth’s ecology and concepts of ‘green’ living that balance human needs with responsible environmental stewardship,” the network said. The new concept is believed to be TV’s first regularly scheduled programming block dedicated entirely to environmental issues.

Besides Mr. Redford, a number of celebrities — including Robert F. Kennedy Jr. of the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Waterkeeper Alliance, actor Leonardo DiCaprio and actress Cameron Diaz — have expressed their enthusiasm for the new program block.

Compiled by Kelly Jane Torrance from staff and Web reports.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide