- The Washington Times - Monday, July 24, 2006


Double shooting leaves one dead

A man was fatally shot and a teenage boy was wounded yesterday morning in the 4700 block of Alabama Avenue Southeast, police said.

Police found Terrell Jones, 22, of the 1400 block of Upus Avenue in Capitol Heights, at 9:10 a.m. with a gunshot wound to the upper body. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The other victim, a 17-year-old, had a gunshot wound to his head. He was taken to the hospital in grave condition. His name is being withheld because he is a witness.

Police are looking for a vehicle seen speeding from the scene described as a dark-colored Dodge Ram with chrome running boards and a hard-shell bed cover.



Teacher arrested on sex-abuse charge

A man who taught at a private school in Baltimore has been charged with sexually abusing a student more than 30 years ago.

Stanley Virgil Ashman, 60, was arrested last month in Birmingham, Mich., where he was teaching at the Roeper School, police said. The Roeper School is a private, coeducational school for gifted-and-talented children, according to its Web site. Randall Dunn, head of school at Roeper School, said Mr. Ashman resigned at the end of this school year after six years.

Police said the abuse began in 1973, when the victim was in the ninth grade and Mr. Ashman was her teacher and student adviser at the Park School. The victim told detectives Mr. Ashman had sex with her from 1973 to 1975 at the school, in a wooded area nearby or at Mr. Ashman’s home, where she baby-sat.

Mr. Ashman resigned from the Park School in 1997. The victim told police she came forward when she learned he was teaching again.

Mr. Dunn said Mr. Ashman passed all criminal background checks at the time of his hire.

Mr. Ashman was released on $25,000 bond after his extra-dition to Baltimore last month.


Forensics expert says blood found on knife

A forensic expert testified yesterday that hair, blood and human flesh were on a knife found behind the Northwest Baltimore apartment where three children were nearly beheaded in May 2004.

Police said they think the 17-inch knife with a 12-inch blade was the weapon used to kill Ricardo Solis Quezada Jr., 9; his sister, Lucero Solis Quezada, 8; and their cousin, Alexis Espejo Quezada, 10.

Adan Canela, 19, and Policarpio Espinoza Perez, 24, two illegal aliens from Mexico, are accused in the slayings. The men are the children’s cousin and uncle, respectively.

Salvatore Bianca, a former Baltimore Police Department crime lab employee, also said a speck of blood was found on a shoe worn by Mr. Perez and about 20 large blood splatters were found on jeans worn by Mr. Canela.

Mr. Biance did not say whether the blood, which he sent for DNA testing, matched either of the defendants or the children.

Defense attorneys said that the blood cannot be linked to their clients and that Mr. Bianca’s use of a homemade vacuum for evidence collection is questionable and hurts the state’s case. A patent is pending on the vacuum he invented and used for evidence collection.

On Friday, a medical examiner testified that the children were still alive when their throats were slashed, nearly beheading them.


Body could haved rifted to N.J.

An analysis conducted for the Coast Guard confirms that it was possible for the body of an Elkton teen to drift last month from Ocean City — where he was last seen alive — to the spot where it was found near Cape May, N.J.

Ocean City police investigating the death of Nicholas Gochnour, 18, are waiting for their own report that will tell them whether drifting was likely and for a toxicology report that could determine the cause of death.

Mr. Gochnour was staying at a hotel on 16th Street in Ocean City and was last seen June 14. His body was found 13 days later.


Three injured in fire at group home

Three persons were injured and eight were removed from a group home after a fire in Aspen Hill yesterday morning.

Montgomery County fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said firefighters were called to the two-alarm blaze about 5:20 a.m. in the 14500 block of Briarwood Terrace. It took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Mr. Piringer said three persons had minor injuries. One person jumped from a second-floor window to escape the fire.

Investigators said they think the power to the home was out at the time of the fire.


Candidate charged with assaulting wife

A Baltimore County man running in the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate has been charged with assaulting his wife, police said yesterday.

David B. Dickerson, 43, was charged Saturday with second-degree rape, fourth-degree sex offense and second-degree assault. He was released on $100,000 bail.

Craig Kadish, Mr. Dickerson’s attorney, said Mr. Dickerson denies the charges and is not dropping out of the race because he did not do anything wrong. Mr. Kadish called the charges “absolutely and completely false.”

According to court documents, Anna Dickerson, 19, told investigators that Mr. Dickerson slapped her on Friday and forced her to have sex. She described a history of such assaults, dating to the beginning of the couple’s marriage in Latvia in June 2005, court documents said.

The couple have a 2-month-old child who is being raised by Mrs. Dickerson’s mother in Latvia, court records said.

Mr. Dickerson, who is unemployed, filed last month for the U.S. Senate seat of Paul S. Sarbanes, who is retiring.



Teen cancer patient appeals judge’s order

Attorneys filed a motion yesterday to try to stop enforcement of a judge’s order requiring a 16-year-old cancer patient to report to a hospital.

Starchild Abraham Cherrix of Chincoteague had refused to continue chemotherapy and was ordered to report to a hospital today and accept the treatment that doctors deem necessary.

A juvenile court judge ruled Friday that Abraham must go to Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in Norfolk for evalu-ation, and ordered his parents to give legal consent for treatment.

Judge Jesse E. Demps also found Jay and Rose Cherrix neglectful for allowing their son to pursue alternative treatment of a sugar-free, organic diet and herbal supplements supervised by a clinic in Mexico.

The judge required them to continue sharing custody of their son with the Accomack County Department of Social Services, as he previously had ordered.

The motion was filed in Accomack County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.


Man who shot himself after chase charged

A Williamsburg man who shot himself after leading police on a chase through two counties was charged yesterday.

Christopher Ryan Piggott, 30, is charged with attempted capital murder of a police officer and assault and battery of a police officer. He also was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, driving with a revoked license and reckless driving.

Mr. Piggott shot himself in the head in the courtyard of a dormitory complex at the College of William & Mary on Saturday after a 10-minute pursuit that began at a gas station in York County.

James City County Lt. Jeremy Barnett was treated for foot and leg injuries after being hit by Mr. Piggott’s vehicle as the officer deployed a spike strip to flatten the man’s tires.

Mr. Piggott remained in critical condition at Sentara Norfolk General. He is accused of abducting a couple after a traffic accident on Interstate 64 earlier this month.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide