- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 6, 2006

A 10-hour standoff that began when a D.C. man fired on federal agents after a minor car collision ended in an Arlington home yesterday when police discovered that the man had fatally shot himself sometime overnight.

Police said the standoff began at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday when a man, identified by police as Travis Lamar Hampton, driving a Ford Taurus, sideswiped a sport utility vehicle traveling south on Interstate 395 that was occupied by several agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Hampton, 24, of the District, stopped his car near the Glebe Road exit ramp, got out and opened fire on the ATF agents, police said. The agents returned fire, then followed the suspect as he drove north on Glebe Road.

Hampton stopped the car in the 3200 block of 13th Street South, got out and ran into a house. Inside, he encountered a resident who was just getting out of the shower. Hampton shot the resident in the leg.

The resident, identified by police only as a 26-year-old man, managed to get out of the house along with a woman who also lived there. The victim was taken to a local hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening.

“He picked this house apparently at random, went up to the front door and barged in,” said John Lisle, a spokesman for the Arlington County Police Department.

Members of the police department’s Emergency Response Team cordoned off several blocks around the house and attempted to make contact with the man inside by telephone and using bullhorns.

Police also cut off power and water to the house.

Shortly after 11 p.m., officers fired pepper spray pellets into the house to try to get Hampton to come out. After what police described as an extended period with no response, they decided to move in.

Just before 4 a.m. yesterday, police turned off a bank of floodlights they had used to illuminate the property, and officers entered the house. They found Hampton dead with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police recovered a handgun at the scene.

Police said they are continuing their investigation to find out what motivated Hampton to fire at the officers and then take his own life.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide