- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 7, 2006



Rabid kitten adopted at pet store

A 10-week-old kitten adopted at a pet store tested positive for rabies, Prince George’s County health officials said yesterday.

The gray, male kitten was part of a litter available for adoption from the PetSmart at 7475 Greenbelt Road in Greenbelt.

The health department wants to talk with anyone who might have been bitten or deeply scratched by the kitten, or had saliva contact with it at the pet shop from May 14 to 19.

Call the department at 301/583-3750 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or 240/508-5774 or 240/286-7369 after 5 p.m. or on weekends.

All callers will receive a rabies exposure assessment by telephone.

Minutemen plan Baltimore chapter

An anti-illegal-alien group that monitors day-laborer centers said it will start a Baltimore chapter.

Stephen Schreiman, president of the Maryland Minuteman Civil Defense Corps, said that his group has several members in Baltimore and that a half-dozen people have shown interest in recent weeks.

“They’ve been upset [for a while], but they’ve gotten more upset as a result of the recent protests and a more visible number of illegals taking high-quality construction jobs from the local citizens,” he said.

The announcement comes weeks after Baltimore officials, who last year set aside $75,000 to open a center for day laborers in the Washington Hill neighborhood, scrapped plans to open the center amid complaints from residents.

CASA of Maryland Inc. — the state’s largest immigrant advocacy group, which runs centers in Silver Spring, Wheaton and Takoma Park — is seeking another location for the Baltimore center.

The Maryland Minutemen has about 100 members, who have videotaped and photographed employers hiring illegal aliens at the Montgomery County centers since February.


Rapper’s manager draws probation

The manager of a rapper received a five-year suspended sentence yesterday for attacking a radio disc jockey.

James Rosemond, 41, of New York City, known as “Jimmy the Henchman,” also was fined $2,500 and ordered to serve three years of unsupervised probation.

Rosemond is the manager of the Game, a recording artist from the Los Angeles area. Rosemond was convicted in January of assaulting WKYS-FM disc jockey Richard “DJ Zxulu” Dunkerson at the station’s Lanham studio on Jan. 21, 2005.

Witnesses testified that Mr. Dunkerson was attacked by members of the multiplatinum-selling artist’s entourage after he reportedly joked that Rosemond’s cell-phone earpiece “looked like something out of ‘Star Trek.’”

Prosecutors had asked Circuit Judge Graydon S. McKee III for a 10-year prison sentence, with all but six months suspended.

Although the rapper, whose real name is Jayceon Taylor, also was initially charged in the attack, Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Glenn F. Ivey declined to prosecute him or any other member of his group.


Tolls considered for new I-95 lanes

The state is considering requiring tolls to use the lanes it plans to add to Interstate 95 between White Marsh and Aberdeen.

The option fits with work under way to add express toll lanes along the stretch of highway between the Baltimore Beltway and White Marsh.

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. said the highway widening is needed to handle growing traffic volume. The state also will consider adding free lanes.


Deputy coaxes man from burning home

A deputy saved a man from a burning house early yesterday.

Shortly after midnight, authorities said Cpl. Bruce VanLeuvan was patrolling Flag Marsh Road when he saw flames shooting through the window of a ranch home. The homeowner, William Lockey, 56, was inside, trying to fight the fire in the living room.

Cpl. VanLeuvan radioed for the fire department and coaxed Mr. Lockey into coming outside, where paramedics treated him for smoke inhalation.

Damage to the house was minimal. Deputies said Mr. Lockey blamed his smoking for the fire.


More charges filed for secret videotaping

A man accused of secretly videotaping men and boys in the Talbot County YMCA locker room is facing an additional 127 surveillance charges.

Alan Travers, 43, had been charged two weeks ago with 52 counts of visual surveillance with prurient intent.

According to charging documents, Mr. Travers hid a video recorder in a duffel bag and taped men and boys from November 2002 through last month.

Mr. Travers is scheduled for trial July 25.


Students fear violence, stay at home

Students stayed home from Liberty High School in droves yesterday after rumors of violence planned for June 6, 2006.

Some people have linked the date — 6/6/06 — to Satanic references, and there were rumors of “Columbine-like violence” set for the day at Liberty.

Although police said the threat was unfounded, it led to a 21 percent absentee rate at the school yesterday. On a typical day, 3 percent to 7 percent of the students are absent.

Other absenteeism rates yesterday ranged from 14 percent at Century High in Sykesville to 2.1 percent at Francis Scott Key in Union Bridge.

School officials increased police presence at the county’s high schools to ease anxieties among parents, students and staff.


Prosecutors to dismiss teen’s murder charge

Baltimore prosecutors plan to dismiss charges against a 17-year-old boy accused of killing a pregnant Carroll County woman and her boyfriend.

The Baltimore State’s Attorney’s Office said evidence taken from the cell phone of the suspect, Davon David Temple, was obtained without a search warrant.

The teen, who has been held without bail since his arrest in late April, was charged as an adult with two counts of murder in the shooting deaths April 23 of Jennifer Morelock, 25, of New Windsor and Jason Woycio, 29, of Westminster.

According to court documents, police found a text message on the youth’s cell phone in which he said he killed “2 white people,” including one woman.

“This case has raised some very interesting questions about search of a cell phone, Margaret Burns, a spokes-woman for the Baltimore State’s Attorney’s Office, told the Carroll County Times.


Metro officer fires in traffic incident

A Metro Transit Police officer opened fire on a vehicle early yesterday, the agency said.

Metro spokeswoman Candace Smith said the officer was driving through the intersection of South Dakota Avenue and 20th Street Northeast when a car tried to run him off the road about 3:30 a.m.

He stopped the vehicle, only to have a second car try to run him over.

The officer fired three shots at the second vehicle as it sped away. It was not known whether anyone in that vehicle was injured.

The officer was not hurt.

One person from the first vehicle was in custody. Miss Smith said the drivers of the two cars may be linked to a liquor-store robbery earlier in the night.



Police return to probe newborn’s death

Fairfax County detectives were back Monday night searching for more information about a dead newborn who was abandoned there.

Investigators were distrib-uting fliers , seeking informa-tion about the child’s parents.

Police said the baby boy may have been there for several days before he was found Saturday afternoon inside a trash bag in a small patch of woods in the 5800 block of Westwater Court. He was wrapped in a T-shirt that read “Drop the chocolate, and nobody gets hurt.”

An autopsy has not revealed the cause of death, and the boy’s race has not been determined because of the decomposition of the body.


School officials uphold cookie-theft suspension

Henrico County school officials have upheld an eighth-grader’s one-day suspension for eating a stolen cookie.

Superintendent Fred S. Morton IV said that he can’t discuss the case because of student privacy laws, but that there is more to it than just the eating of someone else’s cookie.

Caryl Maitland said her son, Jeremy, told school officials that someone knocked over a cookie jar in the Hungary Creek Middle School kitchen and that he ate one of the cookies as he picked them up.

She said the family received a letter from the assistant principal telling them that the cookies were a staff member’s personal food.

Jeremy was disciplined under the school’s theft code.


Driver, 14, charged in woman’s death

A 14-year-old boy charged with killing a woman when he drove a stolen car into her house will be tried as an adult, the Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office said Monday.

The teen, who was not identified because of his age, was charged with felony murder, grand larceny, felony hit-and-run, reckless driving and having no license.

He and a 12-year-old boy are accused of stealing a Jeep from a convenience store Saturday to go joy riding, then losing con-trol and crashing into a house.

Michelle Hart, 33, was sitting on her sofa watching television while her two daughters played upstairs when the car plowed into her home. She died at the scene, but the girls were not injured.


Couple plead guilty to kidnapping infant

A baby sitter and her boyfriend pleaded guilty yesterday to abducting a 3-month-old girl and fleeing to North Carolina last year.

Ashley J. Long, 21, and James E. Snyder, 33, pleaded guilty to felony charges of conspiracy and abduction.

In March 2005, Long and Snyder took Cheyenne Cieniewicz from her home, where Long was the live-in baby sitter. Police found them two days later in a shelter in Charlotte, N.C.

Long and Snyder are free on bond until they are sentenced Aug. 29.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide